🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to add GIFs to the Thumbnails of "Pre-Pac...
Page options
ferhatolcum
Community Member

How to add GIFs to the Thumbnails of "Pre-Packaged Projects" Area

Hi all,

I've been having a problem when I add a GIF item to the thumbnails of "Pre-Packaged Projects" Area. I saw this from this freelancer's portfolio and I'd like to apply it to mine. When I add a GIF item to my portfolio it works fine but when I select the same GIF from the edit menu of "Pre-Packaged Projects" it doesn't work. 

Now, I'm wondering if I miss a trick here. Maybe I should save the GIF with different settings, not sure about it. Is there anyone who has experience with this issue?

Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Ferhat,

Sorry about the delayed response, I've been investigating this issue and checking with the team. Gif files should work so I'm going to escalate this for further investigation and have a ticket created for you so we could update you.

~ Valeria
Upwork
rishar
Community Member

Hello. Please tell me how to make it reproduce in Pre-packaged projects when adding animation gifs? I tried different sizes such as 500x500 to 1360x1360 pixels and different file sizes from 150kb to 1MB.

But for some reason I do not see the animation, just a picture. Although some freelancers, I saw such an effect.

Are there any restrictions? Or what are the criteria for this function?

Hi Grigoriy,

I've merged your post with another post with a similar question and would like to provide an update. While Gif animations may work for portfolios that were added a while ago, it's by current design that not all areas in Upwork will allow animated Gif to meet and maintain website optimal performance. Currently, Gif animations aren't supported for new portfolio items. That said, I'll be sharing your feedback and interest with the team to consider for future improvements to portfolios and Pre-packaged projects

~ Valeria
Upwork

I thank you for the quick reply Valery.
Now I understand that this is due to the fact that I have a young profile.

I would be grateful if you tell me when to update this feature for young profiles.

steve-d
Community Member

Hi, I previously used gifs in my portfolio to illustrate some of my work. These worked fine, showing a short animation when my profile was viewed in 'public view'. However these gifs have now been replaced with static images. Was this an intentional change, or is it a bug? Thank you. 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Stephen,

Please refer to Valeria's response above which addresses your question. We'll definitely let the Community know if anything changes regarding this feature. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
f518f1ee
Community Member

Hey,

I updated my portfolio today with my latest projects which include some gifs.

They are all displayed as static images and not playing in the scrollable view.

When you click and open them seperately they work fine.

They are all well optimized for webview and small in filesize.

I went through some old topics regarding gifs and they all said upwork fixed that problem awhile ago. I also searched up some animators on upwork and some gifs are playing fine and some are not.

Thanks in advance for any solution.

Greetings, Josh Smiley Happy

Hi Josua,

Could you please reach out to me via PM with more details about the portfolios you`re referring to? It would be great if you could also share a few examples where you saw that the GIFs are working. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Left you a private message. I asked some freelancers on upwork and they have the same problem with old gifs uploaded on their portfolio suddenly not playing anymore.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Josua,

I've merged your post with another post with the same concerns. Please refer to Valeria's response above for more information. We'll be sure to let the Community know if anything changes regarding this feature. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths