cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add milestone for fixed-price project?

Iurii S Member Since: May 5, 2016
1 of 20

Good evening,

I'm working on a fixed cost project and I have performed additional work that I want to bill client for.

How can I add a milestone covering that work/amount, or submit misc. invoice (like I did on Elance) to the customer?

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 20

Unfortunately ... you can't.

I asked this question a few weeks ago. They're supposedly considering adding this functionality as we had on Elance, but who knows how long that might take.

Community Guru
Delwar H Member Since: Jan 30, 2015
3 of 20

You can't. 

You can't send an invoice to your clients like other marketplaces.

However, you can request your client to set up a different milestone for the additional task you've performed. 

It's really not much complicated in UpWork's Client Interface. 

4 of 20

Well, I know I could message client and ask to pay more. But can't say that is not complicated =)

I'm looking for a way where I could request payment for the work done, not just message asking about it. Too pity this can't be done.

Community Guru
5 of 20

Yes, it was a good feature on Elance that I wish was on Upwork. It's much easier to set it up yourself and let the client decide to accept or not. Asking clients to do this for your is a PITA.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 20

Hi Iurii,

Please, make sure the client funds a milestone before you start working on a task. That way, once the work is completed, you can use the button "Submit Work/Request Payment" to send the work to the client and ask them to pay for it.

~ Valeria
Untitled
7 of 20

Valeria, thank you for the advice, but did you read my original message?

I don't have problems with client paying original milestone. I want to bill him for work which is out of scope covered by milestone - and that appears to be not quite possible, or at least no easy way to do that =(

Community Guru
8 of 20

And this, Valeria, is why that funtionality is so important to have for fixed-rate projects. Upwork just doesn't get it.

Ace Contributor
Gabriel D Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
9 of 20

I am tottally agree with you mate. On Elance it was sooo easy. For some reason on Upwork it seems like CLIENT HAS THE POWER, I think it is not the same "asking the client to create a new milestone" than "creating the milestone myself" some times client it is soo bussy and things need to be done "asking permission is a waste of time" when you can simply create a milestones. Upwork platform needs a lot of improvement.

Ace Contributor
Gabriel D Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
10 of 20

Why freelancers don't have the right to create our milestones?

Sometimes you accept to do a job, sometimes things works great and client is pleased with your job and as you to do more job which is out of scope covered by primary milestone. Other times things get complicated and need additional money/time to solve the unconvenients, other times

On Elance it was sooo easy, you as a freelancer had as much control over a Project as the client itself. For some reason on Upwork it seems like clients and freelancers do not have same rights, I think that "asking the client to create a new milestones" is not the same as "creating the milestone myself" simply because usually client it is too bussy and things need to be done ASAP, and you simply can not waste time "asking permission" both parts client and freelancers should be able to craate, review and accept milestones.

It has passed almost two years since Odesk and Elance had merged up, this platform is still needing a lot of improvements, Upwork never took the best from Elance.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS