cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add milestone for fixed-price project?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
11 of 20

Gabriel,

Thank you for your feedback. Upwork's fixed-price system works a bit differently than Elance's, however, several changes have been made to it already. Adding more functionality for freelancers when it comes to adding and editing milestones is something that the team is considering and working on. It is work in progress.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Nancy P Member Since: Dec 24, 2016
12 of 20

Valeria K & Upwork,

Sometimes we freelancers get clients that want us to take care of things for them, including creating the milestones for the project.  As a bookkeeper who does monthly updates, it would be helpful for my clients if I was able to create the milestones for each month's work.  Then all my client would need to do is fund the milestone before I start the update each month.  Elance allowed freelancers to do this, and I don't know why Upwork doesn't put this function back into place.  Aren't we, as freelancers, supposed to help our clients?  Some clients want total control and some clients don't want to be bothered with anything except clicking a button to fund a milestone.  One of my clients went to hourly because everything is automatic, but then I'm forced to log time before the job is suspended due to inactivity (by the way, 30 days is too short a time period for suspension).  Please consider changing this back to the way Elance had it -- please allow freelancers to create milestones for their clients!

Thank you,

Nancy P

Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
13 of 20

Valeria K wrote:

Gabriel,

Thank you for your feedback. Upwork's fixed-price system works a bit differently than Elance's, however, several changes have been made to it already. Adding more functionality for freelancers when it comes to adding and editing milestones is something that the team is considering and working on. It is work in progress.

Any chance this is ever going to happen? The majority of my clients are not Upwork savvy, or even if they are, they don't want to spend time on the administrative/creative side... that's why they hired me in the first place. Freelancers should be able to add milestones, even if we can't fund them. We can initiate contracts... this is basically the same, but cleaner because it keeps everything under the same contract.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
14 of 20

Kelly B wrote:

Valeria K wrote:

Gabriel,

Any chance this is ever going to happen? The majority of my clients are not Upwork savvy, or even if they are, they don't want to spend time on the administrative/creative side... that's why they hired me in the first place. Freelancers should be able to add milestones, even if we can't fund them. We can initiate contracts... this is basically the same, but cleaner because it keeps everything under the same contract.

Like I said on my post in this thread exactly 3 years ago today ... Upwork just doesn't get it. Such a simple request that we've been asking Upwork to implement for years, to no avail.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
15 of 20

Having now used the "propose new contract" function several times successfully I don't see why the "propose new milestone" function (which is arguably more useful and logical and technically no more complicated) can't be implemented.

I never used to see the point, but have changed my mind over the years.

Daniel H Member Since: May 29, 2015
16 of 20

You said it! I have a client who i have been working with for 2 months. It was a 50/50 project but we decided to do a partial milestone on the balance as the project was going long. Low and behold I can not add a milestone!!! The client is very busy and NOT savy with upwork systems. She does not have the time to go in and create new milestones.

Kerry O Member Since: Feb 14, 2018
17 of 20

Just pinging this 2 year old thread because I blindly stumbled into this same predicament.  It's a bit misleading - the project budget is essentially meaningless.  

You should be prompted when beginning a project that the "client has agreed to pay $X, pending job satisfaction"

It would throw a red flag if people saw "$0" there.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
18 of 20

I'm confused, can't you see the milestones when you accept the offer and the amounts are included in the job information accessed via your contracts page, yes? 

Kerry O Member Since: Feb 14, 2018
19 of 20

This was an old project so I don't remember how it got to this point, but there was only one milestone set, for half the budget.

It may have been completely my fault at the outset, or adjusted along the way.  Regardless, it would be nice to have a 'propose new milestone' alongside 'propose new contract'.

For instance, the budget was $800, $400 was paid, now it says "$400 remaining".  But there is no milestone associated with it, or a way for me to propose one.

The client and I get along fine so it's not an issue, but I'm just sharing some user experience.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
20 of 20

Only the client can initiate a new milestone (only if the previous one has been released). There is no way you can suggest one.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS