🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to add portfolio item only to General Pro...
Page options
mehranv
Community Member

How to add portfolio item only to General Profile?

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding adding portfolio items. I have two specialized profiles in addition to my general profile. Is there anyway I can add an item only to my general profile without having it added to one of my Specialized profiles and vice versa? 

Based on my understanding the answer is "no". Once I attempt to add an item there is a drop down that asks me to select one of my 2 specialized profiles then I add the image/item that I want to add and then it gets added to specialized profile and also to the general profile. Please let me know if there is a way to do it.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mehran, 

I'm sorry for the confusion the words I used may have caused. I can confirm that I have tried this feature several times before.

When I say "remove" on my post, it means editing the portfolio section of your Specialized Profile by clicking on the pencil icon, and choosing which portfolio items you wish to include, and exclude in your Specialized Profile. I hope this clarifies it for you. Let me know if you have other questions. 

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mehran, 

Currently, when you add a portfolio item to your General Profile, it gets added to your Specialized Profile. You should be able to remove it from your Specialized Profile at any time by editing the contents of your Specialized Profile's portfolio items. 

Removing from your Specialized Profile doesn't remove it from the General Profile. Removing portfolio items from your General Profile removes the portfolio item from all Specialized Profile/s.

~ Avery
Upwork
mehranv
Community Member

"...Removing from your Specialized Profile doesn't remove it from the General Profile..." 

Hi Avery, I understand what you are trying to say and it makes sense if its that way but I just tried doing the above as you stated; however; the item was infact also deleted from my general profile. I.e. I deleted an item from one of my specialized profiles and that same item was also deleted from my general profile.  in fact, the message below appeared as I attempted to delete the item from my specialized profile.

"This action will remove "ABC123" from all of your profiles. Are you sure to want to remove "ABC123"?" 

Based on the foregoing, are you sure about your statement: "Removing from your Specialized Profile doesn't remove it from the General Profile."? have you tried doing it yourself to test that this is the case or not? because it's not the case from my end.

Please advise. 

Thanks, Mehran

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mehran, 

I'm sorry for the confusion the words I used may have caused. I can confirm that I have tried this feature several times before.

When I say "remove" on my post, it means editing the portfolio section of your Specialized Profile by clicking on the pencil icon, and choosing which portfolio items you wish to include, and exclude in your Specialized Profile. I hope this clarifies it for you. Let me know if you have other questions. 

~ Avery
Upwork
mehranv
Community Member

Hi Avery,

Yes, I wasn't using the pencil icon before but I now did and it solved my problem and is giving me exactly what I want to see.

Thank you so so much!

Hi there,

I'm afraid not being agree with this being solved because when doing what you suggest, the item is still refering to the specialized category, at the bottom of the item. (even if not appearing into specialized profile).

You guys at Upwork need to realize that there are a lot of issues with updating the portfolio since creation of specialized profiles:

- It is counter intuitive (adding the removing)

- not working (still appearing in non relevant category)

My suggestion: why not getting rid of general profiles at all?

Because it seems like these issues would be resolved while adding (in my case) a third specialized profile (though I have only 2 specs). Which, for now, would also turn non sense because I'd have to deal with 3 different profiles...

These issues have been mentionned lot of time without any updates.

Lot of pain.

Not many hopes.

Thanks for reading though.

danwtfun
Community Member

Hi, 

The problem still persisting is that even if the item is removed from the specialized profile's portfolio, it will still be wrongly categorized. 
How do we fix the category to which that item really belongs (and is not part of any of the 2 existing specialized profile)?
Thank you advance for your reply! 

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Florin-Dan, currently a portfolio can either be assigned to one of the Specialized profiles (it will also appear on the General Profile) or it can be unassigned from the Specialized profile as Avery explained. If it's the latter, then unfortunately, it will not belong to any category.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
danwtfun
Community Member

Yes, I noticed that it cannot be assigned for now to any other category than those belonging to the 2 specialized profiles.
When removing the item from the specialized profile so it can be assigned to the general one, the category from the specialized profile, being uneditable, and sticking with the portfolio item, has the potential to rise confusion.
I’ll give you an example. You cannot save an illustrated book under the video edit or motion graphics specialized profile, because, even if it will land on the general profile portfolio as a result of the above-mentioned workaround, it will still have the video edit/ motion graphics category attached to it.
So, as much as there is a workaround for now, it’s far from being perfect.
A quick solution, as others have mentioned it, would be to have the general profile in the drop-down selection, when adding an item to the portfolio.
Having additional categories (as the ones existing before) would be a plus, but being able to at least add to the general profile from the very beginning, without attributing wrong categories in the process, would definitely be much appreciated.
Thank you, guys!
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths