🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to approach an unresponsive client?
Page options
kirnazdogan
Community Member

How to approach an unresponsive client?

I've started a long-term contract with one of my client. At first, everything was ok. But he/she began being unresponsive to me after the contract started. I sent 3-4 messages about the progress but he/she didn't return. He/she also didn't give me detailed information about the project though I wanted. I don't want to decrease my JSS, and I think we can't work long-term if he/she continues behaving so. But I don't want to be the one who ends the contract and get a poor or no feedback. 

I don't know what to do, is there anyone experienced can mentor me?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
robin_hyman
Community Member

Dogan K wrote:

I've started a long-term contract with one of my client. At first, everything was ok. But he/she began being unresponsive to me after the contract started. I sent 3-4 messages about the progress but he/she didn't return. He/she also didn't give me detailed information about the project though I wanted. I don't want to decrease my JSS, and I think we can't work long-term if he/she continues behaving so. But I don't want to be the one who ends the contract and get a poor or no feedback. 

So you accepted a project before receiving everything you needed to start that project?  Mistake #1.  Never accept until you have enough information to start a first draft (I'm a copywriter too).  

Perhaps something happened in the client's personal life that he/she hasn't been able to respond to you.  If this is a long-term contract (hourly?), then you have the time.  Freelancers tend to be impatient because we want to be paid yesterday.  

My advice is to wait on this project and continue applying and working on other projects.  

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
robin_hyman
Community Member

Dogan K wrote:

So you accepted a project before receiving everything you needed to start that project?  Mistake #1.  Never accept until you have enough information to start a first draft (I'm a copywriter too).  

Perhaps something happened in the client's personal life that he/she hasn't been able to respond to you.  If this is a long-term contract (hourly?), then you have the time.  Freelancers tend to be impatient because we want to be paid yesterday.  

My advice is to wait on this project and continue applying and working on other projects.  

Dear Robin,

This is not an hourly project. I can't give more information about the job, but there have been a lot of things. I never work for money, actually, the project was an hourly project before, but I suggested my client hire me project-based to avoid paying more to me. I always work for my reputation, and now, my all concern is about my reputation, not the money. Thank you for your advice, as well.

Dogan K wrote:

Dear Robin,

This is not an hourly project. I can't give more information about the job, but there have been a lot of things. I never work for money, actually, the project was an hourly project before, but I suggested my client hire me project-based to avoid paying more to me. I always work for my reputation, and now, my all concern is about my reputation, not the money. Thank you for your advice, as well.

You are aware that money is kinda very important part of a business?

You are aware that money is kinda very important part of a business?

Antun:

S-K-E-T-C-H-Y.   

Dogan K wrote:

Dear Robin,

I'm so confused.  You work for your reputation?  What does that mean?  Are you working for a small monetary fee + good feedback on your profile?  Red flag.  

No, I haven't worked under the market prices. You can check it. I just don't want more of it from my clients. 

I mean, for me, money comes after reputation. It is our reputation that makes us money. I've never earned more or less than a job deserves. And, I don't afraid of losing money, but I'm so afraid of losing reputation.

Dogan K wrote:

No, I haven't worked under the market prices. You can check it. I just don't want more of it from my clients. 

More of what?  Money?  I'm so confused.  It's hard to help you when you're avoiding the truth.  

I'm telling the truth now. And now I think the subject has deviated. My only concern is JSS, not money.

DK,

Without any solid, useful details as to how/why/when your client has been unresponsive, it's really pretty pointless--and a waste of everyone's time--to discuss your problem in this forum.

Of course unresponsive clients are a frequent issue for many FLs but, absent you sharing actual evidence, I can't imagine that anyone could offer any proper, responsible advice.

Work smart, work safe!

I agree with you, William. I think it's something I should handle on my own. Thank you all.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members