cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to ascertain a job offer is legitimate?

ravinderkdilbag
Ravinder Kaur D Member Since: May 12, 2016
1 of 18

Is it normal to have Google chat interview? Is it normal practice to recieve checks from client to setup a home office? 

Please advice.

Sincerely,

RK

P.S. I recieved the following interview offer , chat history and attached offer letter:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 18

Yeah, this is a scam.

Don't accept payment off the Upwork platform.  Don't start work without an active contract on the platform.

You can flag the job post and report to CS.

View solution in original post

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 18

re: "Is it normal to have Google chat interview? Is it normal practice to recieve checks from client to setup a home office?"

Yes. It is normal to have a Google Hangouts interview when a scammer wants to trick you and get money from you.

Real Upwork clients who intend to pay contractors real money do not use Google Hangouts.

Is it normal to receive checks to set up a home office?

No, this is always a scam.

mthornton-cpc
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
4 of 18

@Preston H wrote:

Real Upwork clients who intend to pay contractors real money do not use Google Hangouts.

Point of clarification - once a contract is established it's not uncommon to comunicate via outside sources such as Google Hangouts. I have a client with whom I have a standing weekly Google Hangout meeting. Interviews before contracts are finalized are another story. 

ravinderkdilbag
5 of 18

Thank you for confirming its a scam. Wish other could be aware of such scams.

ravinderkdilbag
6 of 18

Thank you for replying. All this has been a very educating experience.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 18

Hi Ravinder,

I checked and it looks like Upwork team has already taken actions against this job posting and account. You will see that the interview was archived. Please, stop communicating with this client and always make sure you have an active contract on Upwork before you start doing any work for a client. Never accept payments outside of Upwork from clients you met on the platform.

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have at tips and warning signs shared in this thread.

~ Valeria
Upwork
shieldstiffany
Tiffany S Member Since: May 12, 2016
8 of 18

Hello I am wondering the same thing.  Is it possible to know the name of the contact and assumed business name so that I can know if it is legit or not. I received an invitation to interview and the interview was conducted on Google Hangouts,  I was asked after being offered the position if I would like to be paid by either direct deposit or check. Some red flags went up and I don't want to continue any further until I Know if its real or not.

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Ravinder,

I checked and it looks like Upwork team has already taken actions against this job posting and account. You will see that the interview was archived. Please, stop communicating with this client and always make sure you have an active contract on Upwork before you start doing any work for a client. Never accept payments outside of Upwork from clients you met on the platform.

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have at tips and warning signs shared in this thread.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
9 of 18

Hi Tiffany,

The name of the client or company doesn't really matter as they can be different and are most likely not real. Just make sure you don't agree to be paid outside of Upwork by check or through any other means and report the job when the client offers to pay outside. Always make sure the client sends you an offer via Upwork and their payment method is verified before starting to work.

~ Valeria
Upwork
shieldstiffany
Tiffany S Member Since: May 12, 2016
10 of 18

Hi, Valeria 

Okay and Thank you 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS