cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to ascertain a job offer is legitimate?

ravinderkdilbag
Ravinder Kaur D Member Since: May 12, 2016
11 of 18

Thank you so much for the guidance and help removing the client. I was wondering how I could avoid others being fooled by it. Thanks again 

stalenta
Sekar T Member Since: Jul 5, 2017
12 of 18

Hi,

I just want to let you know that the same scammer is still around on Upwork. I am new on Upwork and I got excited when there was an invitation for interview. I accepted the invitation and they interviewed me via Hangouts Chat. They said they will send me a check to set up my "mini office" by purchasing some software and equipment. I'm not suspicious until I read the posts on this forum. Unfortunately, I signed their (fake) employment letter and provided my scan of passport and work permit. I have flagged the post as inappropriate. I should be more careful next time.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
13 of 18

re: "Unfortunately, I signed their (fake) employment letter and provided my scan of passport and work permit."

Probably shouldn't have done that.

This particular scam is focused on tricking you into sending money from your bank account to them. If you don't do that, and if you stop communicating with them, then these scammers are not going to bother you any more.

Whether or not they sell your passport scan or identity details on the black market is not something you have any control over.

My advice is to not worry about it and move on.

stalenta
14 of 18

Thank you for response. I've been thinking about this for days.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
15 of 18

Thanks for reporting, Sekar. It looks like the team has already replied to your ticket and took actions against the job and the client. In addition to the information they provided, please check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Valeria
Upwork
kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
16 of 18

@Sekar T wrote:

Hi,

I just want to let you know that the same scammer is still around on Upwork. I am new on Upwork and I got excited when there was an invitation for interview. I accepted the invitation and they interviewed me via Hangouts Chat. They said they will send me a check to set up my "mini office" by purchasing some software and equipment. I'm not suspicious until I read the posts on this forum. Unfortunately, I signed their (fake) employment letter and provided my scan of passport and work permit. I have flagged the post as inappropriate. I should be more careful next time.

It just boggles my mind that someone would send such personal information, such as a passport and work permit to a COMPLETE stranger that they just met. It also makes me wonder why freelancers just jump right into a site without knowing how it works, the procedures, TOS and what to look out for.

stalenta
17 of 18

Thank you for your comment ma'am. I've been thinking about this for days and I feel like an idiot.

noelia_berna
Ace Contributor
Noelia B Member Since: Apr 25, 2017
18 of 18

Hi Sekar, 

Well, we all learn from experiences and despite it is normal to feel like an idiot, it won't help you to move on, so just don't anymore, you've learned a valuable lesson and here is something you won't do again. That's positive, right? 

Kathy is absolutely right, we need to be careful and read the TOS, procedures and warnings, make sure we understand them and ask if not. Ask and doubt, ask and doubt, ask and doubt again…

Never provide personal information again (you did it, ok, but there is no much more you can do about it now, what’s done is done, you can’t blame yourself forever). If someone asks you for personal details as a condition sine qua non to get a job, just pass. If something you are about to do or asked to do doesn’t make you feel comfortable or violates your principles as a professional, just pass. You do not need any of that.

So, you are now one step forward, as we all are at some point, believe in yourself, move on and good luck! Smiley Wink

Noelia B.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS