🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: How to ask a potential client a question ...
Page options
tomhoran0715
Community Member

How to ask a potential client a question about a job before submitting a proposal

I haven't done much on Up"work" for a few years (when it was called eLance.) The first thing I've noticed (besides skyrocketing fees) is there is no longer any supoort. Does anyone know how I ask a potential client a question ablout a job before submitting a "proposal?" Or is that another feature Upwork deleted from this "platform?"

10 REPLIES 10
petra_r
Community Member

Thomas H wrote:

Does anyone know how I ask a potential client a question ablout a job before submitting a "proposal?"

You don't. You ask your questions in your proposal.

How do they respond to your questions from your proposal?  Assuming they have access to message us?

re: "How do they respond to your questions from your proposal? Assuming they have access to message us?"

Clients can respond to our questions using the Upwork Messenger tool.

Any time freelancers apply to ANY job, or respond to ANY invitation, it opens up the ability for the client and freelancer to communicate as much as they want.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "How to ask a potential client a question about a job before submitting a proposal"

That is not a function available on Upwork. The function proved to be too much of a problem for clients. Because of the number of misbehaving freelancers who abused the feature.

re: "...for a few years (when it was called eLance.)

That is corrrect. It was a feature on Elance, where it caused more problems than it was worse for the platform's paying customers (the clients).

re: "Does anyone know how I ask a potential client a question ablout a job before submitting a proposal?"

You may ask any question you want to ask when you submit a proposal.

re: "Or is that another feature Upwork deleted from this platform?"

You understanding is correct. The ability to ask questions before submitting a job proposal has been removed.

Preston H wrote:

re: "Or is that another feature Upwork deleted from this platform?"

You understanding is correct. The ability to ask questions before submitting a job proposal has been removed.

It hasn't been removed from this platform. This platform never had it. This platform used to be oDesk, and oDesk never had any functionality for freelancers to contact clients without submitting a proposal.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Thomas H wrote:

Does anyone know how I ask a potential client a question ablout a job before submitting a "proposal?" 

If the job is so vague that you can't even begin to form a proposal, for example, "I need some graphic design work done" - with no further information - then I believe that you should make use of the green "Flag as inappropriate" link in the top-right hand corner. Then select, "There's no clear, defined deliverable." 

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Thomas H wrote:

The first thing I've noticed (besides skyrocketing fees) is there is no longer any supoort.

Oh, and I must disagree with you and give credit where credit is due - Upwork's customer service is about eleventy gazillion times better than I ever experienced on Elance. You'll see.

Christine is correct when she points out that it is possible to flag a job.

But ANOTHER possibility is to actually apply to the job and ask pertinent questions.

Many freelancers get hired and earn a lot of money doing this. Because they are the ones who show initiative and show that they're the right people to work with these clients.

There ARE IMPERFECT CLIENTS. This is true. There are clients who genuinely DO NOT KNOW how to write good job proposals.

But these clients may have money, and they may be willing to spend that money on the freelancers who "get" them.

Personally, I am glad that freelancers can't ask questions before submitting job proposals. Because those BAD job proposals scare away many freelancers who potentially compete with me.

If you saw some of the job proposals I earned thousands of dollars from, you would be shocked. You might read the job proposal and think "This is a waste of time!" Or: "This client sounds ridiculous!"

But it turned out that the client just was really bad at writing job proposals. They had money to spend, and they were willing to pay a freelancer to help them get things going.

Yyyyyyyyeeeeaaaahhhh...but that means I have to spend MY money (connects) to help the client. Good business for Upwork, but...

I mean, I'd have to flag 99 percent of the "jobs" on here in my field (grant writing, etc.) I don't mind spending a few extra minutes of my time to help a novice "client" (that's what I'm here for) but not my money.

Oh, well. I gave Upwork one more chance. No biggie.

Thomas H wrote:

Yyyyyyyyeeeeaaaahhhh...but that means I have to spend MY money (connects) to help the client.

At this point you get 60 of them for free.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths