🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to avoid scam jobs?
Page options
d5a397af
Community Member

How to avoid scam jobs?

Hey everyone, I'm new to Upwork so I don't have much experience.

So, I just got my first job here, but it's not showing up on my profile. The client contacted me through telegram after I had given my proposal. It's a 100 page PDF-to-Ms. Word-conversion job. The client offered $25 for each page so it makes the total of $2500. He told me to complete the job in 3 days. Also, he said I'll receive the money after I have completed the job.

Is there any way I can avoid getting scammed by him? Any safety measures I could take? How can I ensure that I will receive the said amount of money after submitting the file?

P.S. the Up work website is not showing me any contracts and it says I can't write my work diary because I don't have any contracts. I had saved this job and the website says that the job is no longer available. But I'm currently working on the project my client gave me. 

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
812dd08c

Hi Farheen,

I'm sorry to learn about this disappointing experience you had with a client. I have checked your account and I can't seem to find any communications or a contract with a client. I would like to let you know that sharing contact information before a contract has started is against Upwork's Terms of Service and that all communications prior to the contract starting must take place on Upwork.

We also suggest our valued members get a contract established with a client before doing any work for the project. We also encourage you to let us know if you find anything suspicious has happened by using the Flag as Inappropriate option throughout the platform. You can learn more about user reporting here.

You may want to check this help article and this thread for more information on how to stay safe on Upwork.

~ Arjay
Upwork

Thank you so much for your response! I'll be more careful from now on.
django_expert
Community Member

it seems you got scammed. has the client already sent you the job offer on Upwork?

They messaged me on Upwork and gave me their Telegram.
Yesterday, when I logged in again on Upwork, the messages were deleted and
the job post was removed.
Unfortunately, half of the work is completed... I guess that's just my
luck/hj
No, they did not send me any job offers. Our conversation took place via
telegram, so there's no record of that on Upwork.

i got same experience just now. thank for information. i thought it was scam and so finding some fact on upwork. Thanks god. 

that's why Upwork cares about us. never talk to them off the upwork.

92b0133c
Community Member

Sorry to hear this, first get a contract from client before starting the work. so It only verify you're working for the client.

Upwork use escrow method. Before the freelancer starting the work upwork ask the client to deposit amount in escrow. After the completion of your work you received the money .

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths