cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to bid for hourly Best Match ?

Pawan K Member Since: Jan 19, 2016
1 of 12

With 8+ years of experience I am working now as a .NET Expert and on my profile settings I have selected "Expert" under the "Experience Level”.

My hourly rate is $22.22 on my profile, however on client side upwork suggested >50 hourly rate for expert level experience.

So for hourly:

What happens when client selects different expereince level, then how it’s going to affect my bid in the follwing cases ?  

Case 1: When client selects Experience Level "Expert" and I bid for $16.67 only.

Case 2: When client selects "Entry Level" and I bid for $25 per hour .

Case 3: When client selects "Expert Level" and I bid for $55 per hour.

Case 4: When client select "Entry Level" and I bid for $22.22 per hour. 

Assumption: In all three cases consider my profile rate is same, that $22.22 per hour.

Kindly suggest what is the BEST MATCH in all three cases? I am opened to the other suggestions that can increase my BEST MATCH criteria.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 12

LOL $20/hour for a .NET expert. That's insane. I'd bin your bid just because you're so cheap I'd think you're lying.

Community Guru
Andrea B Member Since: Feb 20, 2015
3 of 12

That's kinda unfair Jennifer. This freelancer is a Top Rated with a 97% JSS, 435 hours worked and 35 jobs completed. Probably $22.22/hour is just a fair rate for someone living in India.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 12

@Andrea B wrote:

That's kinda unfair Jennifer. This freelancer is a Top Rated with a 97% JSS, 435 hours worked and 35 jobs completed. Probably $22.22/hour is just a fair rate for someone living in India.

LOL You guys really need to decide if JSS is accurate or flawed. So, if he's top rated it's not flawed but representative of a good provider? But if it's low, it's a bug? Which one is it? If it's inaccurate when it's low, wouldn't it stand to reason that when it's high it is also inaccurate?

Logic, we has it. 

Community Guru
Andrea B Member Since: Feb 20, 2015
5 of 12

What I mean is that he has done more than a few hours. A poor freelancer would have a worse job history (regardless of his JSS). He is just placing lower bids if compared to your standards. But again, it doesn't meen he's useless.

Kirti M Member Since: Feb 24, 2019
6 of 12

I also want to know about these cases as I'm confused about "How to bid for hourly Best Match ?"it.

Pawan K Member Since: Jan 19, 2016
7 of 12

I would appreciate if you consider the cases I mentioned. In our agency we have profile like where we have spent more than 2000 hours and considered top rated by upwork , please dont mind if it bother you.

My question is the cases I mentioned , how it will work for best match ?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
8 of 12

Hi Pawan,

In short, your proposal won't be affected in either of those case if you bid over the proposed budget.

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
9 of 12

Pawan K wrote:

With 8+ years of experience I am working now as a .NET Expert and on my profile settings I have selected "Expert" under the "Experience Level”.

My hourly rate is $22.22 on my profile, however on client side upwork suggested >50 hourly rate for expert level experience.

So for hourly:

What happens when client selects different expereince level, then how it’s going to affect my bid in the follwing cases ?  

Case 1: When client selects Experience Level "Expert" and I bid for $16.67 only.

Case 2: When client selects "Entry Level" and I bid for $25 per hour .

Case 3: When client selects "Expert Level" and I bid for $55 per hour.

Case 4: When client select "Entry Level" and I bid for $22.22 per hour. 

Assumption: In all three cases consider my profile rate is same, that $22.22 per hour.

Kindly suggest what is the BEST MATCH in all three cases? I am opened to the other suggestions that can increase my BEST MATCH criteria.

You are working under the wrong assumption. Why would you adjust your rate to a random selection of the client?

The client will see your hourly rate of your profile in any case, which he will assume is, well, your hourly rate. So he/she will be very confused why you under/overbid. If you bid less, you come across as cheap or desperate. If you bid more than double, you come across as trying to take advantage. 

Why don't you just bid your hourly rate? Why did you put this hourly rate if you never use it?

In short, you should always bid your hourly rate, if you want to be taken seriously. 

Lets say you go into a supermarket, and the price of bread changes constantly, depending on what the salesperson assumes a particular customer is willing to pay. The sticker-price is 1 USD, but the salesperson asks for 2 USD, or 50 cents, or whatever he feels like. 

What would you as a customer think about that? Especially if you are told: my boss said today's price is USD 2, so just ignore the sticker-price.

Your marketing strategy is flawed. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 12

Martina P wrote:

Pawan K wrote over 2 years ago and not worked on Upwork since:

(some stuff)

You are working under the wrong assumption.

Thread_Necromancy.jpg

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS