🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to bill a client for an external software...
Page options
i_am_smita
Community Member

How to bill a client for an external software purchase which he agreed to pay for?

Hi there!

I am looking for options to bill a client for a software purchase which I did, and the one that he agreed to pay for. 

I am on an hourly contract and my employer and I, both of us have no idea how to raise a bill other than the hours.

Please help.

Thanks & regards,

Smita

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mtngigi
Community Member

Ms S wrote:

Hi there!

I am looking for options to bill a client for a software purchase which I did, and the one that he agreed to pay for. 

I am on an hourly contract and my employer and I, both of us have no idea how to raise a bill other than the hours.

Please help.

Thanks & regards,

Smita

Your client can send a bonus payment to cover the cost - but bear in mind that Upwork's fee will be taken out of that amount. In the future, it's best to let clients do the purchasing so you're not stuck getting less than what you spent.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mtngigi
Community Member

Ms S wrote:

Hi there!

Please help.

Thanks & regards,

Smita

Your client can send a bonus payment to cover the cost - but bear in mind that Upwork's fee will be taken out of that amount. In the future, it's best to let clients do the purchasing so you're not stuck getting less than what you spent.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Filipe,

It is against Upwork's rules for any payments between freelancer and client to be transacted across any channel other than the Upwork payment system. Althought there is always a chance of a client chargeback on a bonus payment to the freelancer (which is not covered under Upwork's excellent hourly payment protection), this allows the freelancer to receive a total payment that results in the freelancer receiving the net amount paid out on behalf of the client.

Of course, Upwork will report this bonus payment as income to the tax authorities, so the freelancer needs to remember to keep the receipt and show the purchase of the software as a business expense. 

bobafett999
Community Member

In future, let them buy the stuff you need to do their stuff.  In addition to Upwork fees, it is also ownership issue.  You bought stuff, you are the owner.  Also, bear in mind they can refuse to pay you.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members