Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to bill client for extras?

podcaststudio
Community Leader
Michael O Member Since: Mar 28, 2016
1 of 13

Let's say once has an hourly contract in progress with a weekly limit of 10 hours billing.

Suddenly the client requests additional services/work  that go beyond the weekly 10 hour billing limit, who does one go about getting paid for these additional services/work.

IS this possible???

What if during hourly contract, the client request additional services/work that requires the payment of a flat fee???

How does one handle these 2 situtations???

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
2 of 13

If the client requests additional services, he/she will need to change or remove the limit on hours for that week (or however long the additional work takes).

I'm not aware of a way to add a flat-rate service to an hourly contract. I believe that the client would have to set up a separate fixed-rate contract for that project. Alternatively, you could either ask the client to authorize entry of manual hours totalling the amount of the project or to pay you for the extra project as a bonus, but you would not have payment protection under either of those methods.

podcaststudio
Community Leader
3 of 13

Thanks TiffanyS for sharing your insights. Smiley Happy

Hows does one ensure payment protection on all contracts???

A link to detailed info would be helpful. Thanks Smiley Happy

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 13

Hi Michael,

Following videos will provide information about our Hourly Protection program, using the Work Diary and the Team App. You can also find more details about working and getting paid on Hourly jobs in these Help articles: here, here and here.

Information about Upwork's Fixed-Price Protection program can be found in this video and Help article.

Here are also the legal documents governing Fixed-Price and Hourly contracts. You can also check this blog article.

Untitled
russtice
Community Leader
Russell T Member Since: Jul 25, 2015
5 of 13

This is something that Upwork needs to fix. Clients come to a freelancer for a complete solution. This often requires additional purchases that are not part of an hourly rate. As a graphic designer I am often having to obtain stock image licenses, domain registrations, hosting services or many other 3rd party solutions. This should be reflected in their invoice as such. It makes no sense to ask a client to add items to their own invoice from a users perspective. All they should have to do is approve added invoice items. It just goes to show you the bias to the client Upwork has again and again.

podcaststudio
Community Leader
6 of 13

RUSSELLT:   I agree with your comments 100%!!!!!   Upwork nees to address this and provide a GOOD solution A.S.A.P!!!

prospect39
Community Leader
Peter G Member Since: Aug 1, 2015
7 of 13

I also agree 100%!

Back on Elance, I routinely sent clients expense invoices for transcribing. Upwork needs to introduce that feature here. To date, my clients have had to cover expenses by setting up bonuses.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
8 of 13

Hi Russel, Michael and Peter,

Upwork already has an option for clients to issue an expense reimbursement:

Screenshot_17.png

You can share this help article with your clients to guide them through how to pay a bonus or one-time payment.

I hope it helps.

~ Valeria
Upwork
researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
9 of 13

Thanks, Valeria! Perhaps the team should reconsider the language used in describing this option at the top level. "Expense reimbursement" is hardly a subset of "bonus."

Also, of course, the proper way to document expense reimbursement from the contractors's end is to issue an invoice (hint, hint!).

Best,
Michael

russtice
Community Leader
Russell T Member Since: Jul 25, 2015
10 of 13

Not to mention when it comes to taxes. Bonus vrs. Expense a huge difference.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS