🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to bill clients for purchased assets
Page options
cameron_t111
Community Member

How to bill clients for purchased assets

Hello Upwork, 

So I have an hourly contract setup right now that has been going on for about a year and something that is happening more and more is that I buy assets to use for our work. However there is no easy way to bill this to the client ... right now I have take the total, then convert that into an amount of hours that fits the price, then add a bit extra ( otherwise Upwork would take a percentage of this and I would not be fully paid back ), then I add this to manual time with a comment.

So this just seems like a horrible way to do things and I don't really see a better option.

Does anyone have a solution?

Thank you!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Cameron T wrote:

So I have an hourly contract setup right now that has been going on for about a year and something that is happening more and more is that I buy assets to use for our work. However there is no easy way to bill this to the client ... right now I have take the total, then convert that into an amount of hours that fits the price, then add a bit extra ( otherwise Upwork would take a percentage of this and I would not be fully paid back ), then I add this to manual time with a comment.

So this just seems like a horrible way to do things and I don't really see a better option.

Why don't you let the client buy/pay for the assets from their end?

Otherwise you can tell the client the cost (remembering to add the fee) and ask them to add it as an bonus or expense reimbursement, which the client finds under "make a payment".

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Cameron T wrote:

Why don't you let the client buy/pay for the assets from their end?

Otherwise you can tell the client the cost (remembering to add the fee) and ask them to add it as an bonus or expense reimbursement, which the client finds under "make a payment".

Thank you Petra, I will give that a shot

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members