🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to cancel a contract the best way for JSS
Page options
trevor_lowe
Community Member

How to cancel a contract the best way for JSS

I started a job only to realize it may be something I cannot complete, I even messed something up (that was fixed). I dont think I can help this client anymore than I have and want to cancell this fixed price job. I want to know the best way going about a job that you over promised and under delivered for? My JSS score is currently 100 with 7 completed jobs and 3 in progres (1 being the bad one).

Thoughts? I would apprecaite the guidance.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
vsalinitro
Community Member

I think your best option at the moment is to contact the client and be completely honest with them, try to explain your situation and the reasons why you thought you could deliver but, in fact, you can't.

If you got already paid for the job (even just a small amount), your only hope is that the client really likes you and won't leave a bad private feedback and a horrible review (the review doesn't affect your JSS but will be visible to future potential clients). if nothing has been paid the job won't show on your profile but your JSS will go down anyway (mine went down 2% with 56 completed contracts, you have 7).

In any case, be prepared to see your job score going down.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
vsalinitro
Community Member

I think your best option at the moment is to contact the client and be completely honest with them, try to explain your situation and the reasons why you thought you could deliver but, in fact, you can't.

If you got already paid for the job (even just a small amount), your only hope is that the client really likes you and won't leave a bad private feedback and a horrible review (the review doesn't affect your JSS but will be visible to future potential clients). if nothing has been paid the job won't show on your profile but your JSS will go down anyway (mine went down 2% with 56 completed contracts, you have 7).

In any case, be prepared to see your job score going down.

No cash has been released it is still all in escrow. I really apprecaite you're response. 

msimon_pm
Community Member

Hi, first of all, I would be honest with the client, as soon as possible. And I wouldn't accept any payment. I think if there was no transaction complete, the clients can't leave any feedback. I tried to look up but found only the ToS (doesn't mention this subject) 

Hello Monika,

Yes the money is all still in escrow, what should I do to get myself out of this position so I dont lose JSS?

Trevor L wrote:

Yes the money is all still in escrow, what should I do to get myself out of this position so I dont lose JSS?

The sooner you accept the fact that your JSS will inevitably go down (a lot), the better.

There is just one scenario that will keep your JSS afloat, you get paid and your client will close the contract and leave you a good private feedback. I do not see this happening, but we live in a world full of possibilities.

tlbp
Community Member

Trevor L wrote:

Hello Monika,

There is no way to avoid the consequences of overpromising and underdelivering. That's kind of the purpose of the JSS. The client gets to review you and your performance will be assessed. Not receiving any money will only prevent the contract from being visible on your profile. 

Monika S wrote:

I think if there was no transaction complete, the clients can't leave any feedback.

That's incorrect. When there's no payment, clients can't leave public feedback but they can and probably will leave private feedback, and usually it will have a negative effect on JSS. That's part of the reason private feedback exists, so freelancers can't just refund all money to preserve JSS.

Trevor:

I applaud you for doing the right thing.

That's what is important here, and that is clearly what you want to do. You want to help the client as much as possible, even if (in this case) it means quickly informing the client that you're not the right person for this job, and quickly closing the contract while refunding his money back to him.

trevor_lowe
Community Member

Thank you everyone luckily and gladly the job is going well, I hope these answers help many other freelancers in the future. I have already delivered some really good work am just a bit anxious about the JSS thing.

Thanks everyone for helping each other out, we have a nice community here.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths