Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to cancel a contract

inkogan
Inna K Member Since: Jul 21, 2017
1 of 10

Hi

I have accepted an offer. However, after reviewing the NDA, I decided not to go ahead with it. What is the best way to cancel the contract now? I did not work any hours and I did not get anything paid.

Thanks

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 10

Hi Inna,

It's best to communicate with your client before taking action and ending this contract from the contract details page.

End Contract.png

Untitled
inkogan
Inna K Member Since: Jul 21, 2017
3 of 10

ok thanks. do i have to state the reason from the dropdown list? or can i do it without it? If it was mutually agreed to cancel this job - what is the best way to do it so there is no impact on rating/profile? thanks

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 10

Hi Inna,

You'll need to select the reason for closing the contract. Note that only a pattern of contracts without payment will affect your score but the effect this contract will have depends on the private feedback your client might leave and the outcome of your other contracts.

Untitled
cartrellgeneral
Community Guru
Catherine M Member Since: Jan 20, 2017
5 of 10

Go to "My Jobs" located on the upper toolbar.

Select "My Jobs".

Select the job you would like to cancel.

On the right-hand side, you will see a small button that reads "Cancel Contract".

Click on it and you are done.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 10

Just a little reminder that the job will count as an unsuccessful contract, the client can still give private feedback, the Rising Talent Status may well be lost, and it will drag the JOb Success Score down when it is calculated.....

svimp
Ace Contributor
Ciprian M Member Since: Jul 10, 2017
7 of 10

I was in the same situation as yours. I had accepted a contract and then the client asked me imposible and absurde things. Also he provided me arabic wordings to work with, not even translation to those wordings, anyway a verry wierd client. What I did, I canceled the contract beofre chargning the client, and surprise! I lost the Top Rated and my JSS droped below 90%. These really sucks... 

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
8 of 10

JSS....flawed much?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 10

There are many reasons to cancel a contract.

In actual practice, an NDA should rarely be a reason for doing so.

NOT speaking about any specific NDA or any specific situation...

I have been asked to sign dozens of NDAs while working on Upwork.

I do read them. I never really care about anything I see in them, because my own confidentiality and privacy and ownership practices are already far more client-friendly than anything in these NDAs.

So they don't ask me to do anything I wouldn't already do.

That's why I say GENERALLY, an NDA is nothing that would change my decision about going forward with a contract.

I have found that the people who ask me to sign NDAs have rarely read the NDAs or know what is in them. Most of the time, they were simply asked by somebody else (maybe somebody in th legal dept.) to have freelancers sign them.

Even if they kind of know what's in the NDA, they didn't write them. They found the NDAs on the Internet or were sent them by somebody else.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 10

Speaking generally:

Even if an NDA has something crazy in it that you can't accept, it doesn't mean you need to cancel the contract.

You could highlight the section or sentence in the NDA that you can't accept, and you can send that to the client and point it out, asking if that can be removed.

Tell the client you will be able to sign the NDA if that portion is removed, but you can't sign it with that part still in it.

If the client removes that part, and sends you a revised NDA, you can sign it and move forward, earning money from the contract.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS