cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change VAT number

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
11 of 22

Hi Betty,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via support ticket to assist you with adding your VAT number! 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Untitled
Todor B Member Since: Sep 9, 2019
12 of 22

Hi,

Thanks for the fast reply. The agent did contact me but unfortunately, the situation was not solved. They said the VAT number needs to match my name which is impossible because I am not a company.  I would like to sell services as a company though. How can I do that? 

13 of 22

Hi Todor,

Please consider following up on your open ticket and kindly communicate with our team through that ticket if you have any questions, in order to keep all the information in one place.

Please be reminded that Upwork does not allow users to have multiple accounts! It's important that you don't share your login credentials with anybody and don't log into other users' accounts as it's a serious violation of Upwork ToS!

I'll also follow up with the team about this case.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Untitled
Betty S Member Since: Sep 9, 2019
14 of 22

OK. Fast forward several days. My inbox is full of seemingly automated messages from Upwork. No concrete answers to my questions and no solution. I created an agency (Upwork charged $24 for that) and I entered the VAT. Apparently, as an employee, I cannot match the VAT because it is on the name of the company and not my personal name. The VAT was still rejected (tried both with and without the country code letters).

So, now we have an agency created with the name of the company, official address etc. and its VAT number ( as registered in the Commercial Registry of the country) which is still rejected by Upwork. What is the problem now?

By this point, Upwork has the following official documents to make all the legal and tax checks necessary.

- My ID and bank statement verifying my address 

- an official letter from my employer with the bank info and tax info of the company stating I am part of the team

- the contract between me and the company 

So, bottom line - 7 days lost in automated messaging, $24 dollars charged to create an agency and the time of our accountant, CEO, company banker, plus delayed processes for our client.  NO SOLUTION.

Let's see how, when and if this is going to get solved. I will keep everybody posted on this here in the forum and on social media.

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
15 of 22

Hi Betty,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you. 

I just checked your tickets and I can see that our team posted an update on your ticket with number 26434306. Please refer to the details shared with you there and if you have any additional questions feel free to post them on the ticket directly.

You can access your tickets on this link, thank you.

Untitled
16 of 22

Update!

Just got another mail that my Identity has been verified ( after sending in all my personal documents). I guess that's positive news!

Still, my account doesn't have an Identity Verified Badge and NO solution to my VAT problem. Which is where this whole ordeal started in the first place!

Patience, Patience. 

17 of 22

Surprise!

After the verification, my payment method just got deactivated! So now I have a verified account (and I can submit proposals according to the Congratulation mail Upwork sent me) with no possibility to withdraw funds which btw will be charged VAT even though my company is tax registered and has a VAT number!? Seriously!?

I am escalating this to our client (who btw is a regular Upwork customer.)

18 of 22

Hi Betty,

I apologize for the trouble this caused! I'll go ahead and follow up with the team handling your case and you can expect to receive an update on your ticket directly.

Thank you for your patience!

~ Bojan
Untitled
19 of 22

Hi,

I appreciate that, but I think by now I have had too many automated messages and people contacting me.

You have more than enough information by now ( in the form of official documents, contracts, IDs and bank statements, conversations with the CEO) to have solved these issues. I seriously don't know what else you need to approve the payment method of my agency and the VAT number?

The company information is publicly available so with two clicks you can check the Commerical Register (moreover my country is in the EU) where you can see the VAT number and the financial information of the company as well as the bank accounts and everything. 

Unfortunately, with the process I've gone through I will not recommend working with Upwork.

20 of 22

Update!

The VAT number of my agency and the payment method have finally been approved!

Still, my employer had to send all their personal info. 

No sign of the Identity Verification Badge on my freelance profile, but I am hopeful this will also happen soon. 

Thanks to everyone involved!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS