🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to change the country to the USA having h...
Page options
dd6d9096
Community Member

How to change the country to the USA having humanitarian parole?

Hi there! I am a Ukrainian citizen but because of russian invasion, I got humanitarian parole in the USA. So I came here under Uniting or Ukraine program and got a humanitarian parolee for 2 years (temporary status). I already have SSN and applied for work authorization which can take up to 9 months.

So the question is: how should I change the country to the USA if I need to fill out the W9 form which is only for US citizens (tell me please if I am wrong). Since I am here temporarily and have no idea if Ukrainian parolees would have the opportunity to legalize after 2 years, I am not sure I have to pay taxes to the USA, not to Ukraine.

Why I am really worried as well is that I have no work authorization yet. I have active contracts and I don't want to let down my clients. I hope your answers would help me! Thanks for your time.

1 REPLY 1
AndreaG

Hi Vitalina,

Firstly, I'm glad to hear you've been able to settle in a new location and are stable enough to work. As far as the information needed to fill out the Form W-9 on Upwork, your SSN will do. Also, your location on Upwork should always reflect your physical location, especially if you've moved for an extended period of time. That being said, I do strongly advise you to consult the appropriate professionals so you're well-advised about whether you're able to continue your work and your tax obligations. Upwork is not able to provide any legal or tax advice.

~Andrea
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members