🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: How to charge clients for jobs made in pe...
Page options
philomenaaah
Community Member

How to charge clients for jobs made in person with UpWork tracker

Recently I've been seeing a few projects that called to my attention, but I have a few doubts on how to track the tasks using an hourly contract, since that it can pave the way for customers to ask for chargeback, while the job is done properly.

Examples:

• Recording voice overs and then do the post production - the tracker will catch my screen while I'm editing the audio files, but while recording at the studio it will catch only what's on the screen while I will be using other types of equipments to do the recordings and because of that it can't be tracked properly.
  • Doing a job in person, which implies physical travel in the city - once again, the tracker will catch my screen while I'm out of home doing the work that I was hired for and it can't be tracked properly.

Another example, this time with a fixed price contract:

• Doing a job in person, which implies physical travel in the city - How do I proof to the Upwork platform that I did the job? What should I deliver if I have nothing physical to send to my client? How do I protect myself?

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

You are correct in your understanding that not all jobs are appropriate for using the desktop time tracker.

Some jobs need to use a fixed-price contract or manually logged time.

You don't "protect yourself" by providing proof.

If you use manually logged time, Upwork Payment Protection does not apply.

You are not protected, but you don't need protection if the client is completely honest.

Or if the client values your work and doesn't want to risk losing your service and good favor, you don't need protection.

Still, that can be tricky. I cannot have sure that a person is honest because I don't know the person and we just exchanged a few messages through UpWork. I guess I will pass those types of jobs for now. I believe that some types of jobs cannot fit with the platform the same way others do.

Filomena S wrote:

I believe that some types of jobs cannot fit with the platform the same way others do.

True, but then you have to decide what risks you are willing to take or not. There isn't a fitting 100% safe solution for every conceivable scenario on Upwork (or in life, for that matter).

I understand, Petra. But I've been scamed for several times that trusting clients who I don't know is not an option. Or I am protected or I will not work at a specific project.

Filomena S wrote:

I I am protected or I will not work at a specific project.

I understand. Then such projects are simply not for you

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths