🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to close neverending contracts ?
Page options
jozsab1
Community Member

How to close neverending contracts ?

I have about 7 contracts I simply can't close.

- Client is missing in action past 1 year. Can't contact him.

- Client refuses to close last milestone as he forever comes back for support. Just one more question...

- Client blackmails me for additional work or he will close the contract with 1 star

- Client is actively posting new jobs, but refuses to reply to my chat messages

If I personally close the contract, it will downrate my account ( makes sense )

If I do not close the contracts, alsmost always the first question from new clients is "why do you have so many active projects ? Will you have time for me ?"

I realy really there was some sort of friendly departure in these cases. Or at least stop showing on my profile projects that are inactive for maybe a month.

How do you guys handle these neverending projects ?

4 REPLIES 4
moonraker
Community Member

It doesn't do any harm to keep them open if the client insists. I have some where the client only needs something every few months or so.

For those that have disappeared - send them a polite email first asking them to close the account. It's best if they do it because they must leave feedback that way and being professional and polite about it is more likely to encourage positive feedback. If there's no reply after a couple of weeks or so then just close it yourself.

As for the one blackmailing you with a poor rating - report them. It is against the rules here.

petra_r
Community Member

Jozsa Bodnar I wrote:

If I personally close the contract, it will downrate my account ( makes sense )

No, it doesn't. ONLY if the client leaves poor feedback. Without bad feedback, it does not matter who closes the contract in any way.

Jozsa Bodnar I wrote:

If I do not close the contracts, alsmost always the first question from new clients is "why do you have so many active projects ? Will you have time for me ?"

Really? I have never had a client ask that and I have over 30. You have 7

Jozsa Bodnar I wrote:

- Client is missing in action past 1 year. Can't contact him.

Not one of your contracts has even been open for a year. But anyway, that contract is clearly dead in the water. Just close it and be done with it.

Jozsa Bodnar I wrote:

- Client blackmails me for additional work or he will close the contract with 1 star

Report the client to Upwork as he is violating the terms of service. Include screenshots the threats and the request for free work.

Jozsa Bodnar I wrote:

- Client refuses to close last milestone as he forever comes back for support. Just one more question...

Tell the client that you'll be happy to provide any amount of further support once the current milestone is released, the contract closed and the client has set up an hourly contract. He can ask as many questions as he likes when you track time to answer them.

Jozsa Bodnar I wrote:

- Client is actively posting new jobs, but refuses to reply to my chat messages

What do you need from the client? Is the work done? Have you been paid? If yes, close the contract and be done with it.

jozsab1
Community Member

I closed 2 of the contracts that were very long time active without action. Maybe not exactly 1 year as I said.

My account rating dropped to 87%. As you can see on my account, I had decent reviews from clients, so I do not understand why my rating dropped. I thought this happened because I closed the contracts. Even one of the upwork interviewers said I will get my account rating lowered unless the client closes the contract after considering it "finished".

Are you sure closing contracts will not impact my account rating ?

petra_r
Community Member

Jozsa Bodnar I wrote:

I thought this happened because I closed the contracts.

No, it didn't.

Jozsa Bodnar I wrote:

Are you sure closing contracts will not impact my account rating ?

Absolutely and 100%

Jozsa Bodnar I wrote:

Even one of the upwork interviewers said I will get my account rating lowered unless the client closes the contract after considering it "finished".

They told you something that simply isn't true. I close contracts myself all the time. My JSS is 100%. It has never, ever dropped from closing contracts. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members