cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to compete with foreign workers?

Highlighted
Mingyee L Member Since: May 3, 2016
1 of 5

Hi, I've been struggling getting any offers from my proposals due to having to compete against $3.00/hour rates from contractos in other countries.  I have nothing against them personally, but feel that I shouldn't have to lower my rate to compete either.  The bad thing is, even after lowering to $4.50 (which I'm normally at $25/hour) just to test out my theory, I still got outbeat by someone from another country offering $3.00.  I feel like I'm wasting my connects and not doing any good for myself.  

Any suggestions?  I wish Upwork can do something about this as this is unfair competition in my eyes.  We can never compete against these low wages as the cost of living is higher in the US.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 5

@Mingyee L wrote:

Hi, I've been struggling getting any offers from my proposals due to having to compete against $3.00/hour rates from contractos in other countries.  

Yes Mingyee, you foreigners you are though competition.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Cecilia M Member Since: Feb 17, 2016
3 of 5

There is no such thing as "foreign workers" in a global marketplace. Also, if you keep losing jobs to people who charge $3 per hour, you're probably applying to the wrong jobs, anyway.

Highlighted
Mingyee L Member Since: May 3, 2016
4 of 5

You know what, you might be right.  I was applying to the easier jobs to build up my rate.  I figure I can finish a few of the smaller jobs at lower rate, then I can get a good rating and build my profile.  However, it hasn't work out that way. I probably need to do something different.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
5 of 5

Good grief.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS