Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to contact a freelancer

Ace Contributor
Andy A Member Since: May 12, 2017
1 of 20

Hello,

I was checking on freelancers from my country (I was bored) and I found quite a few that havent make any money, maybe because some dont know how to properly use the website or some got desinterested when they saw they couldnt get any job. At the candidate I saw an old friend from my univiersity days. I dont have him on facebook nor any of my friends knows of him (as far as I know).

The question is, Is there a way to communicate from freelancer to freelancer?

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 20

nope

Ace Contributor
Andy A Member Since: May 12, 2017
3 of 20

Too bad.

Thanks Irene!

Community Guru
Bill H Member Since: Aug 18, 2017
4 of 20

I communicate with other freelancers through the "send message" facility. The only time I do it is from the community discussion board, but it has to be possible otherwise. Click on his/her profile, see if "send message" comes up.

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
5 of 20

Hi Bill and Andy,

Just to confirm that Irene comment is correct. As a freelancer you will not be able to contact other freelancers.

Untitled
Community Guru
6 of 20

Goran,

I see some benefit to UW in that policy. Where a client has a complex job requiring skills beyond a single freelancer's ability, the client would in all cases prefer to have a single neck to reach out and strangle. The most attractive response is "I will deliver all of it." Rather than needing to separate it into five $200 jobs, the client has a single $1,000 job. And UW's fees are the same in both cases.

On elance, at one time, I took on complex projects with three to ten separate skill sets, and subcontracted work to other freelancers. Unable to partner with these people, I'm paid $12,000, the board takes $1,200. I pay the legal researcher $1,700, the board takes $170. I pay the e-learning converter $3,000, the board takes $300. I pay the other assorted freelancers $1,000, the board takes $100. That benefits the board, with an effective 14.75% tax. That hurts the client, who could have gotten the job for $11,500. It raises client costs for the convenience of a sngle project. And UW gets to tax the same work twice.

Freelancers might abuse this system, of course, in order to collude on pricing for the same job. Freelancers routinely communicate anyway. Three days ago a UW freelancer who is a personal friend did a favor and critiqued a two-paragraph plot summary for me. Another former elance freelancer took ten minutes to make me smart on print publishing; I often brainstorm business and engineering solutions for freelancer fiends as well.

This is rather like prohibition, where people drank anyay. It just led to far more bad outcomes (the rise of criminal syndcates, poisonings, lost revenue, diversion of law enforcment resources) than it solved. If UW wants to approve these on a case-by-case basis, that would promote transparency and client satisfaction. The response would need to be quick, though. I haven't done this on UW since joining - partnered with another freelancer - and, with your guidance (above) won't.

This reminds me of the period when elance chose to insert itself into client-provider relationships, sending its own messages to workrooms. That was not well-received by clients, nor freelancers.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 20

Bill, that is what agencies are there for, so there is no need for paying the fee twice and everything is nice and consistent and transparent.

It also has nothing to do with the OP wanting to catch up with his old friend.

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 20

Thanks, Petra. I have an agency account, just never used it, nor bothered learning anything about it. Now I know.

My post was in response to the Moderator's post. But, you're right, I derailed the OP's thread. My bad. I have another thread on my response's topic.

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
9 of 20

@Goran V wrote:

Hi Bill and Andy,

Just to confirm that Irene comment is correct. As a freelancer you will not be able to contact other freelancers.

This answer is incomplete. You can't contact other freelancers through the Upwork jobs platform. But you can contact them in the Community if they have an account here.

Sheila S Member Since: Mar 20, 2018
10 of 20

I have a freelancer profile but now want to post a job - or preferrably contact a freelancer that showed up in my search. But I cannot figure out how to do this. Starting over a a Client doesn't seem to work as the site forces me to log in under my existing account. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS