🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to create milestone when buyer's project ...
Page options
sureshkumarmajhi
Community Member

How to create milestone when buyer's project length is not fixed?

Hi, I'm new to Upwork. I just want to know, when the buyer's mentioned project length is not fixed like (1-3 months), in that case how a seller will create a milestone on that by giving a fixed due date? 

PFA, for reference

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That's right, Suresh! The interview is your chance to get to know the client, learn about the project, and set goals and expectations. Take the time to discuss the project in detail, and make sure everyone clearly understands what will be done and when. You can then create the contract accordingly, it does not have to match your proposal terms. 

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
AndreaG

Hi Suresh,

You can include there your best estimate as to when you would be able to complete that portion of the project. If the client replies to your proposal you'll have the opportunity to discuss this with them before creating a contract.

~Andrea
Upwork
sureshkumarmajhi
Community Member

OK. You want to say, after sending the initial proposal, we'll get a chance to re-evaluate those milestones after communicating with the buyer. 

That's right, Suresh! The interview is your chance to get to know the client, learn about the project, and set goals and expectations. Take the time to discuss the project in detail, and make sure everyone clearly understands what will be done and when. You can then create the contract accordingly, it does not have to match your proposal terms. 

~Andrea
Upwork
sureshkumarmajhi
Community Member

Great. Thanks for the clarification. 

Suresh Kumar:

Honestly: People should not try to shoehorn everything into fixed-price contracts.

A fixed-price contract should be LIMITED to tasks which have very specific, defined parameters.

A fixed-price milestone should NOT span a long time.

For me, personally:

A fixed-price task should be something that can be accomplished within one day's worth of time.

Takes more than a day? That needs to be broken into multiple milestones.

A fixed-price task should be something that can be accomplished with ZERO COMMUNICATION.

If communication with a client is required, that should be something that happens BETWEEN milestones.

HOURLY CONTRACTS are a fair and equitable way to work.

If there are potential problems with making something fixed-price, then just use an hourly contract.

Absolutely agree.

Preston H wrote:

For me, personally:

A fixed-price task should be something that can be accomplished within one day's worth of time.

Takes more than a day? That needs to be broken into multiple milestones.

A fixed-price task should be something that can be accomplished with ZERO COMMUNICATION.

If communication with a client is required, that should be something that happens BETWEEN milestones.

All of this is, of course, not the case for the vast majority of freelancers who work fixed rate contracts.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members