cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to deal with long term contracts !!

a_beshta
Abdelwahab B Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
1 of 16

job-interview-ease-nerves.jpg

Dear freelancers ;

I have a long term contract started with a fixed price job , then after finishing and getting paid , the client asked to do another job without a milestone confirmation to upwork , I agreed and then finished it ; client said after seeing the results ; perfect !! how many hours did you spent on this job so I can pay you ? I said 9 hours !!

after that he does't reply .

how to deal with such situations ?? please advice me . thanks a lot .

tirmizi_zeeshan
Community Leader
Zeeshan T Member Since: Jul 4, 2016
2 of 16

It definitely depends on the client freelancer mutual trust. I just completed my 6 months old contract with a positive review. My client would sometime setmilestones and sometimes not but he paid me everytime I did something. sometimes he even paid me in advance.

But not all days are same. You should always make sure to tell the client to set up milestones and put money in escrow protection. When he doesn't pay after you complete milestone, you should immediately sort it out to avoid conflicts. If things doesn't work like this, then CS got your back.

"Not a minor"
jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
3 of 16

@Zeeshan T wrote:

It definitely depends on the client freelancer mutual trust. I just completed my 6 months old contract with a positive review. My client would sometime setmilestones and sometimes not but he paid me everytime I did something. sometimes he even paid me in advance.

But not all days are same. You should always make sure to tell the client to set up milestones and put money in escrow protection. When he doesn't pay after you complete milestone, you should immediately sort it out to avoid conflicts. If things doesn't work like this, then CS got your back.

@ @ Zeeshan --

You could not be more wrong. Let us suppose that a freelancer unwisely chooses to work on faith, trust, a hope, a wish, and a prayer. Le us further suppose that such faith turns out to be mis-placed and that the client "doesn't pay you after" this work is completed. (I am quoting your post, above.) If, then, "things doesn't work [out]," C.S. most certainly will not "got your back." Nor does C.S. have any obligation to "have the back" of a freelancer who foolishly violates Terms of Service by effectively offering to do work for free, and who mis-uses the platform.

C.S. will, in fact, tell a freelancer who receives no pay for such work that he or she has used the platform incorrectly and has worked without a proper contract in place, and that there is nothing that they (C.S. / Upwork) can do. (Upwork cannot enforce the terms of a contract that DOES NOT EXIST.)

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 16

Janean, that is what Zeeshan is saying; When you have the client fund a milestone and put the money into Escrow, and things go wrong, Upwork "have your back" (to a degree)

"You should always make sure to tell the client to set up milestones and put money in escrow protection. (added by myself: "This way...."), when he doesn't pay after you complete milestone, you should immediately sort it out to avoid conflicts. If things doesn't work like this, then CS got your back."

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
5 of 16

@Petra R wrote:

Janean, that is what Zeeshan is saying; When you have the client fund a milestone and put the money into Escrow, and things go wrong, Upwork "have your back" (to a degree)

"You should always make sure to tell the client to set up milestones and put money in escrow protection. (added by myself: "This way...."), when he doesn't pay after you complete milestone, you should immediately sort it out to avoid conflicts. If things doesn't work like this, then CS got your back."

@ @ Petra, Zeeshan --

My apologies for "scolding" Zeeshan if I took his meaning wrong. Upon re-reading his last paragraph, I see that I may have mis-interpreted his comments about C.S.

I read his posting wholistically, and when I read THIS: "My client would sometime setmilestones and sometimes not but he paid me everytime I did something." and connected this rather alarming "business model" with Zeeshan's (IMHO) overly optimistic assumptions about C.S. being his backstop, that produced my reaction.

Again, my apologies for whatever part of my scolding/nagging is off-target.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 16

Janean, I think Zeeshan is saying "Do as I say, don't do as I do Smiley Happy )

I actually do the same thing (work, then sort out milestones later when we know how much we've done) with two of my long term trusted clients. If (when) it ever goes wrong it'll be my own responsibility. I'd not recommend others do so, because if you do this long enough, one day it WILL go wrong.

a_beshta
7 of 16

Thanks alot Janean  for your heart cutting words !! I know some times trust , hope , wish and prayes are considerd as a foolish emmotional way to deal with clients !! But not all the clients in the world are robotic machines .. some times If you worked as a robotic machine with some emotional clients they will have the intention to end the contract as soon as possible !!

timsmith99
Community Leader
Timothy S Member Since: Oct 19, 2016
8 of 16

If I'm understanding you correctly, you did work without having a milestone in place. I don't think there's a lot you can do. I don't do work without a funded milestone or an hourly contract in place.

If the client's plan was to pay you for the number of hours worked, you should have set up an hourly contract. In this case, the client closes the fixed-price contract and starts a new, hourly contract at an agreed-upon hourly rate. The client can cap the number of hours they're willing to pay for each week to monitor their budget.

If the client's plan was to pay a fixed amount, you should have agree upon a fixed amount and only started working after the client funded the milestone.

a_beshta
9 of 16

Thank you Timothy , I will do so .. 

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
10 of 16

You either wait and hope that your client is just delayed in paying you or you let it go. If you work without a contract, you are very unlikely to get paid. Always ask for the client to set up the new contract before starting new work. 

"Great. Go ahead and set up the contract and then I can get started."

"I'd love to work on that for you, just set of the contract and then I can begin."

"I will have time to work on that later this week, did you want to set up an hourly contract or a fixed one?"

Sometimes, I even send a screenshot of the "Hire again" button so my client understands how to complete the task. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS