cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to deal with long term contracts !!

a_beshta
Abdelwahab B Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
11 of 16

Thank you very much Tonya !! your guidelines are very useful for me thanks a lot again .

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
12 of 16

Janean/Tonya:

At the risk of setting a bad example for less experienced freelancers, I frequently use the "alarming" business model another freelancer described above. 

Many of my clients really hate Upwork, and employing a hybrid system wherein the only reason they ever have to log in is to make a payment when the job is done allows me to comply with Upwork's requirement that payment passes through the platform while also minimizing the client's need to spend time on the platform. It also creates a greater likelihood that the client will be willing to continue processing through Upwork after the two-year restriction expires.

I definitely don't recommend this as a regular practice, and definitely not with a client who is still an unknown. But, every client/freelancer relationship is different and operating a business requires judgment calls. So far, I've not only been paid every time, but clients tend to log in to make the "bonus" payment more quickly than they did to approve milestones. There's a risk, sure, but everything is a trade-off.

a_beshta
13 of 16

That's disappointing somehow !! anyway I will be careful . thanks !

tirmizi_zeeshan
Community Leader
Zeeshan T Member Since: Jul 4, 2016
14 of 16

Yes Petra got it right. If something goes wrong its completely my responsibility but as Tiffany said I only do it with trusted long term clients. 

"Not a minor"
aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
BEST ANSWER
15 of 16

Hi Abdelwahab, 

It looks like you were already paid for the first part of the project. As some of the community members have suggested, please make sure that a milestone is created, and the client's payment method is verified, and funded before you start working on any project for any client. 

Also, I would suggest that you only submit your completed work via the milestone-submission/contract page. 

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

a_beshta
16 of 16

Thank you Avery for your advice , I will follow these procedures you have mentioned . thanks again .

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS