Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to deal with "test" work?

hobilla
Ace Contributor
Yasir S Member Since: Mar 10, 2018
1 of 4

Recently im being contacted with several types of clients who want "test" work. They tell me to work on a part of their project (without pay) to get to know if i am a good fit. Only after the unpaid "test" they will decide will i be recruited for the job or not and create contract then, not before the unpaid test.  Then there's another group of clients who say they will pay me for "test" but they need to know before creating a contract and make me do the "test" and adjust this "test" payment with project payment, if I am hired later on.

How should i deal with them? (Please elaborate on both types)

renata101
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
2 of 4

Hi Yasir,

How to deal with "test" work?

If it's unpaid, don't do it. Asking freelancers to do any type of unpaid work, including tests, is against the UpWork Terms of Service. You could submit a support request to get someone to look at it:
https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

If the clients agree to pay for the test, ask them to set up a milestone for it or an hourly that's set to the amount of time they anticipate it will take you to complete the test. Otherwise they may not pay you as they've promoised. If you haven't worked with them before, it's not a good idea to just trust that they'll do as they say. If it's a fixed-rate contract with a milestone for the test, make sure it's funded before you accept the offer. 

If they don't agree to this beforehand, don't do the test.  If you do and they don't pay you, there's nothing to protect you and there's no way to ensure that you'll be paid. 

hobilla
Ace Contributor
Yasir S Member Since: Mar 10, 2018
3 of 4

Thanks Renata. Will do this from now on.

One more thing, if I have already done this before ( as I didn't know about it ) and they start "beating around the bush" with what they promised, what should I do?

** Can I file a complaint? Or there's no way since we haven't started any sort of contract?

Also,

** If the "test" work is some sort of "cheating" that they want me to help with, such as completing an online test for them, doesn't it violate the terms and conditions? Can i file any complaint against him? (keep in mind that if i have already helped him with "test")

renata101
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
4 of 4

@Yasir S wrote:

Thanks Renata. Will do this from now on.

One more thing, if I have already done this before ( as I didn't know about it ) and they start "beating around the bush" with what they promised, what should I do?

** Can I file a complaint? Or there's no way since we haven't started any sort of contract?

Also,

** If the "test" work is some sort of "cheating" that they want me to help with, such as completing an online test for them, doesn't it violate the terms and conditions? Can i file any complaint against him? (keep in mind that if i have already helped him with "test")

In this case, I don't know that you can do a lot in terms of getting paid if the client is refusing to do so. If you agree to work without a contract, you leave yourself vulnerable to the client not paying you. So this might just have to be a memorable lesson about what not to agree to on the site.

They are violating the ToS, so you could try contacting one of the moderators about the problem because if the client is doing this to you, it's likely they're trying it with other freelancers. Doing this might help other people to avoid having the same problem with this client. That might be the most direct way to get someone to look at the problem. There's a flagging option on the job post itself, but I'm not sure how carefully UW looks at posts that have been flagged.

The moderators have green badges like this:

Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 9.22.49 PM.png

This seems to be a popular scheme on the platform for freelancers in particular fields. One scam in tranlsation is for the client to cut up a document and then try to get it translated for free by getting a bunch of freelancers to do different parts of it as a "test."  

If you're new to UpWork, I recommend doing some research on other forum threads to educate yourself about scams that happen on the platform. Unfortunately, there are a few, but once you know how they work, you can understand how to avoid them and how to protect yourself. For instance, it's a good idea to avoid anything involving Google Hangouts. 

Screen Shot 2018-11-09 at 9.17.18 PM.png

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS