🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to deal with scamming client ?
Page options
shekhar8887
Community Member

How to deal with scamming client ?

I would like to share a completely new type of scam, I encountered by a payment verified client..
I completed a sketch work for the client and the payment was under escrow protection.
The client got the sketch, made the payment and gave 5-star rating and ended the contract.
Suprisingly, after one month I got the email by Upwork regarding the dispute by the client.
The client had made a chargeback through the bank.
Now Upwork told me that the bank decision will be final.
have a look at the screenshot.
How to protect ourselves from these kind of scam ?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

4 REPLIES 4
759e32fa

Hi Shakhar,

I can certainly understand your concerns and want you to know that in situations where the client contacts their bank and asks them to reverse the payment, Upwork offers to challenge the chargeback in an attempt to help the freelancer get the money back. Upwork would need to move quickly, so please provide the requested proof of the work or deliverables within 48 hours of being notified of the reversal if you’d like us to proceed.

Upwork Payment Protection doesn’t apply in these cases unless the contract in question is hourly and the requirements listed here are met.

Upwork team would also review the client’s Upwork account because reversing a payment in most cases is against our Terms of Service.

I can see that our team has reached out to you regarding this matter. Please respond to the ticket here.

~ AJ
Upwork
bbe9df54
Community Member

Yeah, You are right. Nowadays the freelance community is facing the dispute issue from the verified clients. Although I have guided to all of my friends that try to get job from your old clients. And choose the new clients wisely. But these are the issues which you need to learn how to wisely tackled.

The only protection is automatically tracked hours. Even then, the rules regarding that program must be followed to the letter or there will be no protection. It's possible to follow all laws and rules and still have thieves do chargebacks. These are not the basic scammers, these thieves just want the work for free, and everyone is discovering how easy it is to get it.

the-right-writer
Community Member

Unfortunately, there are cases like yours where you follow the rules, have a contract, and everything is wonderful. Then the thieving client discovers that they can get the work for free by crying to the bank issuing the card that they didn't like the work. The situation is completely out of control. I know freelancers, sellers on eBay, and others online who are having the same problem. Customers said they didn't like a movie or a book, or it wasn't what they expected, and the banks rule in their favor. As I keep saying, until financial or legal pressure is applied that will make banks and businesses take notice, nothing will happen. Those giant businesses are not being hurt in any way. So, they don't care. Upwork may say they fight for the freelancer, but if they do, it has little to no positive effect.

Only specific tracked automatic hours have any protection. However, it seems like there is always some reason Upwork denies a number of those. The number and range of scams are epidemics. Even real clients have learned how they can get free work. If anyone thinks a client wouldn't do that, just look at how many want freelancers to do hundreds of hours of skilled work for $23 dollars.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members