cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to do a paid test job for a client?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Hanna N Member Since: Jun 17, 2015
1 of 8

Hi all,

I would like to get some advice on what the best procedure for doing a paid test for a client is. Is it the client posting a separate job posting for this paid test, or is there a way for the freelancer to assure that they get the payment for the test if they agree to one in the interview-stage of the actual job and send it to the client? What I mean by this is that is there any way for the freelancer to make sure of payment without having a/the contract already started?

I am asking both for future reference and because a potential client (at a tiny fixed price project) is confusing me a bit:

Me: Hi (name),

(discussing details of the job)--I would require to be officially hired and for you to verify your payment method before submitting any work. Please let me know if you need help with this.

Client: yes I know

its a test job which is paid

so you dont have to worry about anything

Now as far as I know, there is no way to ensure getting paid for submitting something at an interview-stage of the project, especially when the client has not verified their payment method. Am I right about this?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 8

I try to make it as easy as possible for them. So, what I do is tell them to award the job, fund a milestone that's for the test, and if everything is OK, fund the final or additional milestones for the full project.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
3 of 8

@Jennifer M wrote:

So, what I do is tell them to award the job, fund a milestone that's for the test, and if everything is OK, fund the final or additional milestones for the full project.

And for hourly jobs, clients can easily limit the number of hours you're allowed to bill each week.  I think pretty much every job I've started on Upwork was set at 2-4 hours/week for the first "test" stage.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 8

Hi Hanna,

There has to be a contract in place in order for you to be paid. Do not complete any work unless the client sends an offer for the small test job.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 8

You don't need a separate contract or any kind of special arrangement for a paid test job. You just need a standard Upwork contract.

A client can simply set up an hourly contract and ask you to work only one hour, or only for ten minutes, even.

Ten minutes is the minimum billable amount of time with the time-tracking software.

A client can not actually limit you to work for only 10 minutes (unless they closely monitor what you are doing and actually close the contract at a precise time). But if a client asks you to work for only ten minutes or 30 minutes or whatever, and you work for a couple of hours, then the client will know one thing about you: You don't know how to follow instructions.

If a client doesn't like what you do after a short amount of time, the client can close the contract, having only paid for 10 minutes or an hour's worth of time. Or a ten-hour block of time.

Whatever works for you and the client. If the client likes what you're doing, the client can keep the contract open, expanding the maximum number of hours to whever they're comfortable with.

Gladys S Member Since: Mar 17, 2020
6 of 8

Hi, 

The client set up a milestone for a paid test. However, she told me that my work didn't pass her quality. So she asked me to cancel the contract and refund the money which I never had and it was on escrow still since she didn't approve of the work. 

However, my question here, shall that not be paid? I worked for that job and spent time and exerted effort. In case is there a way too to report such a client for being rude? 

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
7 of 8

Hi Gladys,

In general, when a freelancer has worked it means that they need to get paid. I checked your contract and I can see that your client is referring to the funds in Escrow.
Unfortunately, our Fixed Price Protection does not cover promised funds or unfunded milestones. Always make sure that the agreed budget is fully funded on your milestone. To learn more about how to protect your self, check out the Safety First section here. I would also recommend communicating with your client further and trying to reach a positive solution for both sides. Thank you.

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
8 of 8

Gladys S wrote:

Hi, 

The client set up a milestone for a paid test. However, she told me that my work didn't pass her quality. So she asked me to cancel the contract and refund the money which I never had and it was on escrow still since she didn't approve of the work. 

However, my question here, shall that not be paid? I worked for that job and spent time and exerted effort. In case is there a way too to report such a client for being rude? 

You cannot force a client to like your work. If she did not like your work, keep it. Use it for your portfolio or sell it elsewhere. Keep an eye out for it and file a DMCA if she should use it anyway.

You can insist in getting paid in full, ignoring any possible negative feedback, since I have the strange feeling that you are dealing with a really busy lady and the feedback will have no impact on your JSS.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS