Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to eliminate poor freelancers - A positive suggestion

bobhuge
Community Leader
Bob H Member Since: Feb 18, 2009
1 of 17

Hey, oDesk managment - If you'd like to eliminate freelancers that don't cut the mustard, filter what a freelancer sees.  

We already can build custom searches base don skills.  When a client is looking for a particular job to be filled, if they'd like freelancers with only 4.5 stars and above to see their job, then filter out those jobs from the 4.5 stars and below freelancers.  They can't apply to them if they can't see them.  

I would not filter by time on oDesk though, or allow a different algorithm because sometimes, you may have a great freelancer who is new unable to apply.  

Just a positive suggestion from me, for a change.  Maybe it won't be deleted.  Smiley Happy

Bob

tasamil
Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
2 of 17

I think it is a crappy idea and totally unfair. Who should decide who doesn't fit and who has  poor skills ? An infallible oDesk algorithm? And plus  freelancer wouldn't know that s/he is discriminated against and would keep wasting his time searching for  jobs that are just not there. It is just cruel. 

And I think they have a plenty of mechanisms in place for that already, which are not advertised as such...JS being one of them with its lack of transparency like a private feedback, which is so conveniently private and can be used to justify everything without providing any real insight or ability to check for accuracy of data or updates.

bobhuge
Community Leader
3 of 17

From everything I've read, oDesk already filters applications that don't fit what the client wants, so what's the difference?  It's just another filter.  Right?

There are stories from websites post in the forum that claim oDesk's freelancers are poor qualified and send in applications below the requirements.  So, why even let poor performing freelancers destory oDesk.

After all, isn't the connect system supposed to make oDesk a better place for clients?  Maybe, there are steps that can be taken on the freelancer end to help oDesk achieve their lofty goals?  

The connects system unfairly punishes good contractors just as much as it prevents bad contractors from getting jobs.  

I agree with you on the JS.  I don't understand how a metric can be so not accessible for you to improve upon.  

digitalattorney
Ace Contributor
Jon-Paul R Member Since: Dec 15, 2010
4 of 17

Natasa M wrote: 

I think it is a crappy idea and totally unfair. Who should decide who doesn't fit and who has  poor skills ? An infallible oDesk algorithm?

The buyer should decide. And the buyer does decide. When they say they want someone from North America, who are we to tell them they don't want someone from North America?

The problem is, as Bob is pointing out (and Iobviously have as well, (hi Bob)) is that even if you are NOT from North Ameria, you can still apply to jobs that are requesting only North American people

Want to fix a problem with employers seeing the wrong people? Fix that and eliminate the flawed "Connects" system that is supposedly in place to fix it instead... It does not. 

tasamil
Community Guru
5 of 17

Quote: "When they say they want someone from North America, who are we to tell them they don't want someone from North America."

They have option to filter out by location, hours, etc...This is not even an issue here. The issue is suggestion that oDesk should limit visibility of the jobs for certain freelancers, so they would not be able to see them and they would not know that the jobs are on the platform.

oDesk is created as an open platform where everyone can become a freelancer or a client. If you allow someone to  become a freelancer and works on a platform, you need to allow them a full insight into what jobs/freelancers that platform provides. If you don't let them see certain jobs and yet allow them to become freelancers , you are knowingly keeping them in dark and wasting their time. It is worse than not allowing them to participate at all.

Quote:" The buyer should decide. And the buyer does decide. "

Yes, absolutely and the buyer should be enabled to make well-informed decisions, which s/he might not be able to make in the scenario proposed here.

bobhuge
Community Leader
6 of 17

also, if you "allow someone to become a freelancer and work on the platform", oDesk shouldn't be filtering any applications and hiding them from clients....but from what I've been told by oDesk "gurus" out here, they do exactly that.  limit what freelancers can do.

so, what's the difference?  

IF and this is a big IF oDesk really wants to create a better experience for clients, they should use every means necessary to create that experience.  

Connects, in my opinion doesn't do that.  Connects limit good contractors from getting more work in certain fields.  

tasamil
Community Guru
7 of 17

Quote: "....but from what I've been told by oDesk "gurus" out here, they do exactly that. "

I didn't ask for that title and nobody here  asked for that title - I am just a freelancer here as well.

"so, what's the difference?  "

The difference is that that would make one more crappy feauture in addition to other crappy features.

bobhuge
Community Leader
8 of 17

i didn't say you were a guru.  I would have said, "you said...."  i'm talking about the actual "community gurus"  Cat Wink

i agree it would be a crappy feature among crappy features, BUT in my opinion, it would be no worse than what they're doing to us now.  If they truly wanted to "help clients", they would use all of the tools available to them and that could be a tool.

Would you rather have that tool limiting bad freelancers from seeing jobs or would you rather be a great freelancer that is limited to how many jobs you can apply to?  Me personally, I'd rather see my idea in place than "connects."

I made $172 on oDesk in April.  I normally anywhere from $500 to $1000.  You and I are being punished, not on purpose, but because of the filed I'm in and poorly performing freelancers sending out apps to clients that don't want to see them.  My field requires a lot of jobs, hence a lot of apps.  

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
9 of 17

@Bob, that's not really feasible because sometimes, well, clients don't really know what they want! I've been hired for several jobs where I didn't meet the clients' requirements regarding location, number of hours worked, etc. 

Plus, like Natasa pointed out, I think we have more than enough filtering measures in place.

bobhuge
Community Leader
10 of 17

I agree that clients don't understand what they want.  That's why connects are punishing good contractors as well as supposedly preventing bad contractors from "spamming" clients.

Or, at least the 10% that apply for more than 30 jobs.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS