cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get Jobs frequently? Hourly and Fixed

Highlighted
Najie B Member Since: Oct 8, 2013
1 of 32
Credits : Our Friend Stef Gonzaga “Wanted: Filipino writers needed to join my team. There’s plenty of work for those who can prove their worth. Do not bid more than $1 – $3/hour.” This a typical job description that you probably have seen while scouring the oDesk job boards. As a Filipino writer, this makes me want to throw a brick at the person who posted this and demand to know (while strangling his neck with a gardening hose) why he thinks a Filipino writer would want to work at that hourly rate. What’s worse is that they would ask for other things such as: Excellence in written and spoken English Available during (insert time frame) PST, which is usually midnight to the wee hours of the morning over here Great research skills Absolutely no spelling and grammar errors Meets deadlines to the T Obedience to instruction It sickens me to see a lot of employers who think that just because Pinoy freelancers live in a country where the dollar conversion is Php 42, they can impose such cheapskate requirements. $1 – $3 per hour won’t sustain anyone’s lifestyle. It definitely won’t make up for all the personal and business expenses you’re paying for every month. A Crippling Issue with Online Marketplaces. The truth is, these jobs are a plague that has been spreading throughout online marketplaces like oDesk and Elance for a long time. Clients/employers who sign up for an account on the site would post these types of jobs, impose very low hourly rates, and would reject those who apply with higher and more reasonable rates in an instant. It has led to a growing competition on price among contractors, crippling the standards of the marketplace bit by bit. But this is just one side of the story. Because contractors are willing to bid and work at $1 – $5 per hour, employers now believe that it is very possible to get someone to work at cheap hourly rates. In the end, no matter how hard we complain about the demands of the clients, the more we feed the employers with $1/hour work, the more that they will give us $1/hour jobs. Plenty of Pinoy Freelancers Are a Part of This “The more we continue to make ourselves available for this kind of work, the more these employers will expect us to work at these rates.” The sad reality is that there are plenty of Filipino freelancers who are willing to work hard and long at these rates. If you’ll take a look at the profiles of oDesk contractors who are oDesk Ready and who have been active for the past 15 days, almost 80% of them are have hourly rates between $2.78 – $7/hour. Look closer at some of their work histories and you’ve got long hours worked at $1 – $3/hour. The more we continue to make ourselves available for this kind of work, the more these employers will expect us to work at these rates. They’ll keep trying to bring our prices down, convincing us that we’re too expensive for contractors from a developing nation, and will do their best to get us to work hard and long since they’re the ones giving our feedback scores. Start Making a Difference By Avoiding These Job Posts. I’m sure that deep down, you know that you are worth more than just a couple of dollars per hour. We Filipinos are hard workers, intelligent individuals, and honest people; therefore, we deserve more than what these employers are offering. The best way to counter these jobs is to do what we should have done right from the start: Avoid those nasty $1 – $5/hour jobs and focus your efforts on higher quality projects. By high quality projects, we mean projects that you are skilled at, are interested in, and that pays you well. These projects are usually from employers we’d want to work with, making the entire experience worth our time and energy. The harder you search for these types of projects, the more you will find good paying work and employers who will pay you at your ideal rates. And the more you continue to hone and effectively sell your skills, the higher your chances are of being hired. Hopes for More Educated Freelancing Practices There will always be opportunities to educate and teach others how to price themselves properly in a global marketplace like oDesk. With plenty of good resources online, such as blogs (like this one), forums, and interest groups out there, there will always be hope for the standards to change for the better. Here are just some of the many ways to find out just how to price and market yourself to potential clients/employers: Check out the oDesk profiles of other contractors who offer the same services as you. Take note of their hourly rates and use these as guiding points when setting your own service fees. Read about how to write great cover letters, revise your old ones, and start bidding professionally. Be firm with the price you’re bidding for the project. If the client’s trying to make you bid lower, either convince him with reasoning or withdraw your application. Never give away free samples to get your foot through the door! Employers will be the only ones benefiting from your free work. Do you agree that clients are expecting low hourly rates from us because we keep bidding at these rates? Have you had trouble convincing yourself not to bid low for a project? Share your thoughts in the comments. Author : Stef Gonzaga ---- This a nice content from our Dear Friend Stef Gonzaga
Zlatko V Member Since: Feb 10, 2013
2 of 32
Hi, I think that best tip is ti invest into your profile. Make professional overview, add portfolio that represent you best and your works and skills. Overview should be short and informative. No one comes to oDesk to read million words, client wants strict lines, and clean presentation. I'm new to oDesk but had lucky to get to the great client. Also make sure that you have professional letter. Hope that this helps.
3 of 32
Thankyou I appreciate your comment, have you seen my profile already? what do you think do I need to improve about my profile? It's a little bit long but I provide and emphasize the details Looking forward to hearing from you. Kind Regards, Najie
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
4 of 32
Hide your below average test results. Take them again as you improve and only make them public when they're 20 or 10%
5 of 32
I know that my profile could be better, but right now I got job so I'm not fixing it. Ummm ... I donno, maybe you can put lighter picture of yourself, also remove tests that is belove average, and retake them, try to enlist core skills, also you'll need a shorter overview. If I was a client, overview and tests would really make me alert. Umm... if you invest into your profile, maybe build yourself a website and provide client with link, that could tell that you are action taker. Try to look at your profile this way. If you were a client, would you let someone to take care of your "baby" (project), if that person didn't show that he put some amount of time and thoughts on his own profile (the stuff that gets him a money for living). You just need a couple of retouches and everything will be fine. Hope this helps, Cheers, Zlatko V.
6 of 32
I already updated my profile and hopefully I can land a long term job.
7 of 32
Looks much better, try to find better picture. A picture tells 1000 words Smiley Very Happy Like the skills overview now. Don't forget to retake those tests. As consider above post all fine, but you need to make pro profile if you want to bid higher. Remember, always put yourself in client position, and see would you hire yourself or not. If you want to talk more with me I got some nice resources that could help you. Cheers, Zlatko V.
8 of 32
Thanks dude, I'm still looking for a job since my previous client had no projects for me yet, and he is so busy right now, unlike before he always sends email. I hope I can find a good client who always communicate with his contractors Yours, Najie B.
Sarah a Member Since: Nov 4, 2015
9 of 32

HI,

I use to submit proposal very frequently on daily like average 1o proposals a day acoording to my skills however I did not get a singe oppurtunity so far. What I suppose to do?

Look forward for suggestions,

Warmly, 

Ace Contributor
V R Member Since: Sep 18, 2015
10 of 32

@sarah a wrote:

HI,

I use to submit proposal very frequently on daily like average 1o proposals a day acoording to my skills however I did not get a singe oppurtunity so far. What I suppose to do?

Look forward for suggestions,

Warmly, 

Hi Sarah,

I am also new, I will tell you one Incident very recently happened to me.

I saw a post 50$ Job which was a very simple Job to me and going through the requirement of the Client, I looked at the link the client posted. I was able to understand their requirement and finished the Job within 5 Mins. I took a Snapshot (which shows full job is Completed) of the Job Completed and Submitted my proposal saying that the Job is completed and they can offer me the Job to collect the File in the first few hours job was posted. The Job application had 63 Proposals and it was granted to  one Freelancer after 12 days of the Job Posting. In a curiosity I checked for whom it has been given and I saw that it was awarded to new freelancer who has just finished his first Job. I was very happy seeing that and didn't bother that the client didn't notice my proposal which was a completed Job.

You will definitely get your turn. Keep trying hard. Good Luck.

Best Regards

Ramki

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS