🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to get Started
Page options
d3maybe
Community Member

How to get Started

I've been a member for several months and I have used every one of my connects for this month on proposals. The reason I decided to post here is when I look at stats my profile hasn't even been looked at ONCE...  I am new here so I understand the competition may be crazy for software engineers but I have over 20 years dev experience and a good resume with good tech skills, I'm certainly not saying I should be hired all the time, but not even ONE look at my profile... comon. 

Just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong and all of my proposals are going to the ether or something, maybe the stats aren't correct? 

Any suggestions would be welcome as well. 

Thanks.

I'm certainly not afraid of competition but I don't want to waste my time either. 

3 REPLIES 3
tlbp
Community Member

The stats page number don't represent all profile views. And, there was a glitch in reporting this month anyway. 

That being said, only you can decide if using Upwork for lead generation is a waste of your time or not. Are other channels more effective for you? If so, why fix what isn't broken. KWIM?

d3maybe
Community Member

Thanks for the reply... As far as my comment on wasting time... I meant, and didn't articulate very well, that I didn't want to continue submitting proposals month after month if I had done something wrong that would preclude my proposal or profile from being seen. 

If there is a bug then that makes more sense. I know I'm new and have no track record in UPworks and maybe thats how it works, but I have a ton of dev experience over the last 20 years. So while I don't, and have never, expected to be swimming in contracts and getting hired everytime I submit a proposal, but if there is some mechanism in place that keeps the new people from being seen then I will look elsewhere for leads. 

tlbp
Community Member

It is, IMO, very difficult to get a foothold. If your qualifications are similar to someone else's and they have a work history on Upwork many clients will choose the known over the unknown.  Your profile and/or proposal has to set out some unique value that you can bring or resonate with the prospective client in some other way. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths