Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to get a Dormant Contract closed - Unresponsive Client

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
11 of 53

"Setu

Thanks...I know I can write, but it's very personal to me, and has to be from the heart; and I can't consider writing for other people. On a purely business analysis, it takes me too long to do it unless it's flowing from me - and I get a lot of writer's block. So if I took on writing jobs I think I'd spend too many hours staring at the screen and diverting, and it would be a lot less "lucrative" than editing other people's work.

The problem with oDesk is that, with its clunky category system and woeful filtering capabilities, as long as I want to be in the "editing and proofing" category, which is (wrongly IMO) a sub-category of writing, I will continue to get useless interview requests for writing jobs, despite what I wr*te on my profile  Smiley Frustrated.

Community Guru
Gabor K Member Since: Apr 1, 2015
12 of 53

Someone in one of the other topics did make an interesting assumption about the whole JS thing going on:

"They do it so they can get everyone kicked after a while and then replace them with their Elance freelancers."

It might be something to think about.

One thing is sure: truth only delays, but arrives eventually. Something to think about as well.

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
13 of 53

This is a bit of an old topic, but I came noticed 2 comments by Garnor intended to 'clarify' Job Success:

• If a freelancer closes a contract, it does not directly impact your Job Success score. The absence of client feedback might, just like in the case when Customer Support closes the contract. 

absence of client feedback might? That doesn't clarify anything for me.

• Yes, prolonged periods of inactivity on a job are bad, but not prolonged, active contracts.

prolonged periods of inactivity are bad? Bad in what way? I have a number of inactive contracts, inactive because the client no longer needs my services but chose not to close the contract, even after I contacted them and asked them to close it.

So here's a simple question, for which I hope there's a simple answer:

Which is worse for Job Success,

a) closing an inactive contract and getting no feedback, or

b) leaving open an inactive contract?

14 of 53

The worst part to me is that most of my clients are very inactive for long periods of time because that is the natural of city goverment. I draft plans, they submit them, and then wait for months while the city reviews them to just have them come back and ask for revisions. Then more months of waiting and finial approval. Then the client can come back and close the contract. And They are says this is the reason my JS is going down.

So on top of trying to get client to come back and leave review after getting approvals. It is all for not because now I need to make that happen with out long period of inactively. Come on this is horrible for for my type of work.

And there is no way I am going to get a mod to give their take on what I should do to increase my score.

Oh and just to be clear before you try to tell me this is a small part of my job score this is 90% of my contracts.

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
15 of 53

@John K wrote:
  • If a freelancer closes a contract, it does not directly impact your Job Success score. The absence of client feedback might, just like in the case when Customer Support closes the contract. 

absence of client feedback might? That doesn't clarify anything for me. 

He really meant will but might is the CS thing to say.

• Yes, prolonged periods of inactivity on a job are bad, but not prolonged, active contracts.

prolonged periods of inactivity are bad? Bad in what way? I have a number of inactive contracts, inactive because the client no longer needs my services but chose not to close the contract, even after I contacted them and asked them to close it. 

Opened inactive contracts to them, means that the client left unsatisfied, hence why they deem it bad.

Which is worse for Job Success,

a) closing an inactive contract and getting no feedback, or

b) leaving open an inactive contract? 

a) Is worse for the short run. A sizable impact depending on your recent positive inputs to the JS score and a 2 year effect.

b) Is worse for the long run. A small impact every two weeks but cumulative and gets stronger over the next 2 years actually indefinitely, since the job will never be marked finished - it will never be completed to get to 2 years. (Garnor or Valeria?)

My original thought while writing this was eureka, with all things being equal, If I am a "good" freelancer (a couple 5 star public & good private feedback per week), it must be better to leave the job open for 2 years until it falls out of the moving average; especially since current abandoned open contracts are not affecting most of us here (since most have or had top rated status nonetheless). Therefore it is not that sizable in the overall metric calculation. However the problem is that its effect will never go away (never get to 2 year completed).

I would welcome any corrections because I think I am working out an Upwork solution (in the correct words of Stephen). Otherwise close one abandoned contract every 2 months - as I suggested in another thread.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Community Guru
16 of 53

Setu,

I'm going to take the chance and close a couple of contracts that are 'paused by Upwork' and 'Contract On Hold' (suspended). Do you have a recommendation on the reason to give for closing the contract? I'm sure I shouldn't choose 'Job was completed unsuccessfully', but, are either 'Client not responsive' or 'Another reason' safe choices, or is 'Job was completed successfully' the only safe choice? I ask, because one of them has 0 hours logged.

Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
17 of 53

John

Its not a good idea to close them all just close one and wait for some days if it can effect your JS.If you think it went safe inform me so i can close as well i have bunch of them.

Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
18 of 53
Hi John,

All of my contracts like that were actually completed - as in you provided the client with the wok, but they did not close the contract or leave a review. Therefore you completed the contract Successfully (regardless of Upwork's strange definition which affects our JS), so you can and should chose that option.

The only other option that would be correct is 'Client not responsive' if the work was not completed, because I am sure you are not the reason the contract isn't complete or closed.

Just remember to shoot a line to CS for good measure and then proceed, but only one or two at a time - and also proportion it to the amount of current good reviews etc.
Community Guru
19 of 53

Setu, thank you very much for the advice.

Iftikhar, I'm closing one contract & specifying 'Job was completed successfully'. Since my Job Success just changed yesterday, I doubt my JS score will change anytime soon, but if it does, I'll let you know.

20 of 53
No problem John. You can start keeping some records since your JS score changed yesterday, and see if you can work out something on your end.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS