🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: How to get access to U.S only job posts.
Page options
superz00m
Community Member

How to get access to U.S only job posts.

There are a lot of interesting job post at Upwork that I haven't access: "Access denied. Unfortunately, you cannot submit a proposal for this job post. Based on the client's requirements, only freelancers in the U.S. can submit a proposal."

I'm pretty sute that some of these clients will work with me after seeng my portfolio.

Is there any way to get in touch with them?
If I start an agency with some US based member will it helps?

Thanks in advance.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
barada00
Community Member

"Hey Client, I'm an agency member living in US, we have this Ukrainian guy who is a great film maker, if you unknowingly chose US only when posting the job because it became the default choice for some reason, check out his great portfolio." 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
petra_r
Community Member

@Ivan T wrote:

How to get access to U.S only job posts.

Move to the US, get a Green Card, Social Security Number, work permit and an address and so on.

That is the only way, those clients specifically asked for freelancers who are in fact physically located in the USA.

Don't even try to pretend that you are, you'll wind up risking your profile.

barada00
Community Member

@Ivan T wrote:

I think this is a legit question. OP doesn't say he wants to pretend to be in US. I'd also like to know the reply to that question.

petra_r
Community Member

@Baris A wrote:

@Ivan T wrote:

I think this is a legit question. OP doesn't say he wants to pretend to be in US. I'd also like to know the reply to that question.

The answer is "No" - only the people in the agency who are physically in the USA (and can prove it) can work on those contracts.

So if he started the agency with US based freelancers, he could not apply for himself,only for the US based freelancers who would then have to be the ones to do the work.

So it would be pointless.

barada00
Community Member

"Hey Client, I'm an agency member living in US, we have this Ukrainian guy who is a great film maker, if you unknowingly chose US only when posting the job because it became the default choice for some reason, check out his great portfolio." 

Sure but, what if the agency business manager is a U.S. freelancer, can prove it, works on U.S.-only contracts all the time. That would be me. More than half my staff is scattered across the world, though. Could I not apply, inform the client that I intend to give the contract to one of my freelancers, get the job, and hand it off to a contractor in Canada? I mean, if the client was informed and was reading a proposal that I already told them was actually about one of my guys AND the client wants to hire this guy, are all three parties just SoL?

I'm assuming there's a workaround there because, if not, that seems like a massive oversight on Upwork's part. Surely everyone wouldn't have to just go home unhappy. Besides, it would be the MOST lucrative feature of agencies in general if they could be used as a means to present a non-American option that way.

P.S.: Why was it ever assumed that anyone was gonna try to pretend they were American? Literally no one said anything that so much as rhymed with that rationale.

Hi Cedric,

Unfortunately this is not an available option at the moment. You will be able to assign US jobs only to freelancers that are based in the US.

~ Goran
Upwork
imakeinternet
Community Member

Just because you think a client will want you based on your portfolio doesn't mean they actually would want to hire you.  They are specifically requesting freelancers to be physically located in the USA and if you try to rig the system so that you can get around this requirement you will risk your entire Upwork career.  Just don't even try.

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Ivan,

I can confirm that US-only jobs are available only for freelancers who are physically located in the US and can verify it. There are various reasons why a client would want to post a job with that requirement. Their projects may require localized knowledge, the possibility of on-site coordination, specific compliance needs or other factors that make working with someone within their country an easier way to get started on Upwork. 

If you have an agency, only agency members who are located in the US will be able to apply for these jobs.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Hello Valeria, 

> If you have an agency, only agency members who are located in the US will be able to apply for these jobs.

Could you please clarify this:

An agency member is not located in the US but he is a part of the agency which is located in the US. In this case can this agency member have access to the 'US only' jobs on 'Find work' page and apply to them choosing a member from the agency roaster who is located in the US? 

Hi Vitali,

Unfortunately, no, that's not possible. Only the agency member located in the U.S. will have access to U.S.-only jobs in search and will be able to send proposals to those jobs.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thank you so much. 

Can I assign a US only job to a US based Agency's member who is not based in the USA. I will certainly tell the client that my member working on this project will not be from the US because I feel in some jobs the client just needs the work done (whoever and wherever he/she is) but somehow they mistakenly selected the only US option while posting the job. 

How about the next time you go to a restaurant and order food, the server brings you something entirely different. They can do this because they know what you really want better than you do. How would you react to such a situation? It's no different here. You might think you know better than the client. You in fact might actually know better than the client. However, the client has specifically indicated their wishes and annoying them by invalidating what they asked for is not good business. It's a bummer when you see something you know you could knock out of the park, but you are prevented from engaging. A lot of things are a bummer. At the end of the day that's life and business. We must respect what the client has specifically indicated they want without ignoring it or looking for loopholes. 

Scott, you are here comparing apples to oranges. The more accurate analogy would be that the dish is the service that freelancers do and that waiter and the cook are the freelancers. I’m assuming that you’re not going around restaurants and asking for a specifically one type of waiters to serve you.

First of all most of the clients in the US (or anywhere else) doesn’t pay attention to the job posting at all (that’s why the most jobs go without responses or hires).  Over the years I’ve seen at least hundreds unanswered posts and connects lost due to that (not to mention a million more with poorly written job information). The client just wants from freelancer to get the job done, and in most cases they do not really care where you are from as long as you have good quality service to offer to them. I do not have the problem with client wanting US only freelancers, I am having problem with the decision being presented and made before posting the actual job, so the client can’t actually see what others of us have to offer. I understand the reason of region locking entire continent, but I think that could’ve been implemented a little better. You could for example filter the proposals afterwards, you will still have the same result for a client that wants US freelancers only and the ones that are not sure can see both.

I am on this platform couple of years now and in the last few months I have reduced my work on the platform since there is lack of work in my field. I work in HVAC & MEP design field where are handful of people working. With the lack of the job on the platform and region lock I have been forced to try to find clients on some alternative ways, and I still do. Almost all the clients that i found that way told me that at least once they had Job posting open on Upwork and have failed to find the right candidate or at least have some applications to review. I assume since I haven't cought any of those jobs was that they were region locked by default when you are creating a new job. 
In my opinion Upwork is basically crippling itself this way the most, those clients that i am working now are paying provisions elswhere insted of Upwork. That is why i think that this thing needs to be back to the drawing board. Maybe it sounded great on the paper but in reality it is a bad thing by my opinion

Hello @valeria,

Please let me know if I'm getting your answer in correct way.

I have an agency account here at Upwork with India location, as my company office is in India for now. All my agency members are located in India only. So that's correct we all are not able to see and apply US specific jobs. But a few of my teammates are working remotely for my company from a USA location, so If I ask them to create an Upwork account and I'll add that person to my agency as a member, will they be able to post for the USA jobs?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths