bethrosselle

How to get more work (I know, so original) ;)

Hi there,

I'm still relatively new to Upwork. I signed up a while ago, but October I believe was my first active month. In other words, it's the first time I started submitting proposals -- I think I submitted a couple. Then last month (November), I started to submit a lot more and landed two jobs pretty quickly (both with 5 star ratings from clients and complimentary written feedback). Currently, however, I have 25 active proposals sitting unanswered which feels like A LOT. And, of course, I'm a bit frustrated. Was it simply coincidence that I picked up those two jobs at once?  I was kind of hoping / assuming the work would start flowing once I secured a couple of jobs and got some good reviews. I know that no one here is a client mind reader, but I do have a couple of questions:

1. Does Upwork add any filters to submissions based on whether or not we have a paid membership?

2. are clients able to see how many unanswered proposals I have open? Should I be withdrawing them as I go, so I don't appear as someone who's submitting a ton and not getting work?

And, of course, any other tips are welcomed. 

Many thanks!

Elizabeth

4 REPLIES 4
tlsanders

That's not unusual at all. In fact, a lot of people report in the forums that 50% or more of the jobs they bid on expire without anyone being hired. it does get easier to find work when you have some ratings, but even long-term Upworkers have rushes and dry spells.

There's no reason to withdraw a proposal unless you decide that you definitely don't want the job. I've been hired on a bunch of jobs three weeks or more after I bid. No one can see your proposals except you and Upwork (and the individual client that particular proposal was directed to, of course). Your best bet is to just bid on jobs that seem like a really great fit for you and not look back. Clients will follow up or they won't; don't read into non-responses and don't let pending proposals influence what you bid on or accept.

luce-neidert

Particularly in the beginning, looking for jobs on Upwork is a little bit like fishing, you have to be patient. An excellent way to keep busy (and not despair) is reading advice, doing tests, checking your profile ... Once you have had a few jobs, things will be easier. Just be patient!

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Elizabeth R wrote:

1. Does Upwork add any filters to submissions based on whether or not we have a paid membership?

2. are clients able to see how many unanswered proposals I have open? Should I be withdrawing them as I go, so I don't appear as someone who's submitting a ton and not getting work?

Hi Elizabeth,

To follow up on your questions and the information Tiffany shared:

1. Proposals are listed on the same expandable list based best match (no membership filters) 

2. No, clients can only see the proposal you submitted for the job they posted.

Untitled

Thanks, this is really good information to have. I raised my rates, so I was prepared to bid more and win less - but I was also concerned clients could see what I'd bid on, and I've been bidding a lot. I'm glad to know they don't see my bids. I also thought I remembered reading in this forum that there are repercussions for bidding too many jobs, but I am guessing 12 open bids is not too much ... thanks, Denise