cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get my first job

Ahamed S Member Since: May 6, 2011
1 of 12
Hi every one; I became member of oDesk on May 06 2011. but, those days i did not take much care of doing jobs here,recently i have found that most of m friends are earning through oDesk. Since then I am a very active member , I have attended some of the tests also..but I am not getting any job.Can somebody look at my profile and tell me if I need to change anything....Please help me on this.
Robert S Member Since: Aug 5, 2011
2 of 12
I immediately noticed your ridiculous hourly rate and (still not sure why) continued to scroll down to see your below average test scores. If you're incapable of recognizing that showing below average test scores are a problem then you are beyond help. Try applying some common sense and then return and ask again.
Judith P Member Since: Jun 26, 2012
3 of 12
Hi there, okay there are a few things in your overview that need some work. For example: "I have been completed my higher studies at British College of Applied Studies," remove the words 'have been.' "I am an expert Data Entry because i have been works as associated content expert at Vcapture with 02 year experience and image clipping, image editor with 04 years experienced," change to: 'I consider myself to be expert at Data Entry due to my 4 years of experience working with Vcapture, where I...' (add the actual jobs you have done for this company...the way your original overview is written, it is difficult to tell which jobs you have had 4 years experience of, and which you have had 2 years experience of.) "(Full time freelancer on Odesk), also i am doing web designing and as well as some sought of small desktop applications using Visual Studio." Change to 'I am also proficient in Web Design,Data Entry,Creative Designing,Logos, Visiting cards, Posters, Banners, some programming language and small desktop applications using Visual Studio.' "I have some experience and knowledge in Data Entry, Creative Designing, Logos, Visiting cards, posters, banners and some programming language. I am seeking some opportunities to build up your business." Delete the above 2 sentences...it is obvious that you are seeking opportunities, just by applying to the job. "MY OFFERS * Highest Quality, * Highest Speed and Fair Price * Deliver jobs by on-time" Change last sentence to: 'Always deliver on or before deadline.' I hope these ideas help you out and good luck for the future Smiley Happy
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Feb 20, 2009
4 of 12
Maybe cause you just finished high school only last year clients might think you don't have much experience, plus the low test scores would be hurting you. Come up with something more interesting and catchy for your profile overview check out the beginning of mine for an example. I don't think you should say you are a full time oDesk freelancer because you have never done a job on here. Keep applying and good luck!
Najie B Member Since: Oct 8, 2013
5 of 12
1) About the overview one of the forum member here already mentioned the things you need to do. 2) As I can see you are a competitive guy so try to raise your hourly rate. 3) Remove those below average test results. Get some more exams as much as you can and try to pass them all. I think that's it for me, As I am not totally expert, Like you, before I took 3 months to get my first job in oDesk. Read and implement the things that you need to do as the forum members here are always giving some advice on how to have a good profile. Good luck, AvJ
Ace Contributor
Alexander N Member Since: Sep 14, 2013
6 of 12
Hi, Ahamed. No offense meant, but your English in profile is downright horrible. Do something with it. Suggestions were already given. Set a decent hourly rate. If you're willing to work for less that half-hamburger an hour, that just shows lack of self-respect. And clients will treat you in kind.
Najie B Member Since: Oct 8, 2013
7 of 12
[quote=Alexander N.]Hi, Ahamed. No offense meant, but your English in profile is downright horrible. Do something with it. Suggestions were already given. Set a decent hourly rate. If you're willing to work for less that half-hamburger an hour, that just shows lack of self-respect. And clients will treat you in kind.[/quote] +1
Taher N Member Since: Mar 11, 2014
8 of 12
HiSmiley Happy I find a similar problem. Many applications but not even 1 clicks. What am I missing here??
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
9 of 12
You must have this marked to private. No one can help you or give advice with your profile in this setting. If you want advice, set it to public.
Community Guru
Misty K Member Since: Feb 5, 2012
10 of 12
This is still pretty damaged. I'm sorry to say here, but if you feel you're not competent to put together a comprehensive over view statement then you might want to consider having someone do that for you. (Of course, pay them to do so) In other words, higher a professional resume writer, or something similar to get that cleaned up. I can assure you, with it being so broken it is going to hinder your chances of getting work. Also, I'm not really understanding your educational background? When you're putting "Diploma" do you mean "High-School" related? College comes with certifications for most vocational courses or business courses, not "Diplomas". You need to really take tests that are relative to the services you'll be providing. And the rate is really crazy. Why would you sell yourself for $1.11 per hour? This is really horrible of me to say, but I can't help it. You really need to develop some professional self-confidence here. Underselling your skills is just not acceptable.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS