🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to get responses ?
Page options
mc_virieux
Community Member

How to get responses ?

Hi everyone!

I am quite new to Upwork community and I am really satisfied with the way it work.
I applied for weeks now to a lot of proposals, bought my credits etc. however I don't have a single reply... I tried different cover letter but still haven't got anything.

Before I start to be desperate, can anyone tell me if anything's wrong? I please need your opinion about my profile,I am opem for tips too because I really would like to improve myself in the future...

Thank you for the ones who will help me!

Cecile
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Cecile V wrote:
 I tried different cover letter but still haven't got anything.

It sounds like you're just copying and pasting the same cover letter into all of your proposals, whereas you need to write different cover letters for EVERY proposal (although I have some stock phrases that I swap in and out, depending on the situation). 

Also, you'll have better luck getting those initial jobs if you can find ways to say that you're uniquely well-qualified (don't just apply for anything and everything). I had a hard time getting my first job here because I was just looking at every job description and thinking things like, "Hmmm, this client needs a brochure. I know how to design brochures; therefore, I'll apply." But it doesn't work like that, because lots of people know how to design brochures, plus they had feedback reviews and I didn't. Then one day, I saw a client who needed a travel industry brochure. So I wrote something like, "I used to work as a travel agent and tour guide; I've also had several travel articles published. I therefore have in-depth industry knowledge and can give you advice about your target market..." I got that job. (Obviously, I wouldn't have said those things if it wasn't true!) It was an "aha!" moment.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Cecile V wrote:
 I tried different cover letter but still haven't got anything.

It sounds like you're just copying and pasting the same cover letter into all of your proposals, whereas you need to write different cover letters for EVERY proposal (although I have some stock phrases that I swap in and out, depending on the situation). 

Also, you'll have better luck getting those initial jobs if you can find ways to say that you're uniquely well-qualified (don't just apply for anything and everything). I had a hard time getting my first job here because I was just looking at every job description and thinking things like, "Hmmm, this client needs a brochure. I know how to design brochures; therefore, I'll apply." But it doesn't work like that, because lots of people know how to design brochures, plus they had feedback reviews and I didn't. Then one day, I saw a client who needed a travel industry brochure. So I wrote something like, "I used to work as a travel agent and tour guide; I've also had several travel articles published. I therefore have in-depth industry knowledge and can give you advice about your target market..." I got that job. (Obviously, I wouldn't have said those things if it wasn't true!) It was an "aha!" moment.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members