🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to get rid of a client without lowering J...
Page options
piggington
Community Member

How to get rid of a client without lowering JSS?

I have a client that has become too difficult to work with. I'm willing to give her a full refund just to get out of this contract. If so, will she still be able to rate the job and give feedback?

Does does ending contracts and giving refunds negatively affect JSS?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Does does ending contracts and giving refunds negatively affect JSS?"

A refund does NOT negatively impact JSS at all.

For example: The original agreed escrow payment was $100. But you only finished half of the work and you refunded $50. That DOES NOT impact JSS.

BUT:

A full refund DOES negatively impact JSS.

Because that is a "zero-pay" contract.
A zero-pay contract (fixed-price or hourly) has a negative impact on JSS.

Thanks for your answer and sorry for the late reply on this. I managed to get that contract worked out. I know the best way is to negotiate an agreement with the client, but if that is not possible, what is the next best solution to get out of a contract without negatively impacting job success score? I'm willing to give a full refund and just move on, but if tht hurts JSS, then that's not a great solution.

I could give a partial refund as you say, but then the client can still leave a negative review. They certainly will not score the private feedback very well.

petra_r
Community Member

David M wrote:

I have a client that has become too difficult to work with. I'm willing to give her a full refund just to get out of this contract. If so, will she still be able to rate the job and give feedback?

does ending contracts and giving refunds negatively affect JSS?

The client can still leave (private) feedback and as Preston said, a "nothing paid" contract tends to have a  negative effect.

You are, however, top rated and have access to the top rated perk of being able to remove the impact of one contract no more often than once every 90 days and 10 contracts.

So if you want to refund and fire the client, do so and wait until Sunday to see what, if any impact there is. If the impact is significant, you use the perk and be done with it.

Ahh, that's right, I forgot about the perk. In that case, do I even need to give the refund. Can't I just end the contract as it is, expect to recieve negative feedback, and then use the perk?

David M wrote:

Ahh, that's right, I forgot about the perk. In that case, do I even need to give the refund. Can't I just end the contract as it is, expect to recieve negative feedback, and then use the perk?

Personally, I don't much like seeing "This feedback has been removed" but obviously that is indeed an option.

The other option is to end the contract as sweetly as possible and hope the client doesn't leave any feedback at all.

Petra R wrote:
[…]

The other option is to end the contract as sweetly as possible and hope the client doesn't leave any feedback at all.

Like on a Friday night, when no one's paying attention. It has become a trend in Washington lately Smiley Wink

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members