cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get rid of cheep Employers.

Ata Ul Munim S Member Since: Jun 5, 2011
1 of 5
Hello guys: I have spent almost 4 years here on odesk. I have a good portfolio and good feedback too. I did good jobs during that time. But I just realized that odesk only supports Employers not the contractors. I also noticed a number of issues during this period, which I won't put on forums yet. Now I am sharing my views with you. The first statement that odesk only supports employers, is absolutely right, because employers have full control on your money. They are fishing you with worms. You all know that, the requirements of employers and the budget they have. So you have only two choices, one is to ignore it and wait for the next. Other is obviously forcefully agree on their terms. There are two major problems creates. One is, the employers understand and always send job with the unbelievable and unrealistic budgets. The other problem is who did this job because there are no such options for the people who are relying on odesk, the average rate decreases. So everybody thinks that the rate is low and keep fishing. And in plus odesk only supports employers in any case. The only and just the only guaranteed type of work is hourly with time tracker. All the creative people understands and agrees on that the time tracker is actually the creativity breaker. It distracts mind many times in an hour. Other disadvantage is during working we have multiple sources to use. some times we need Google during working on 3DsMax. So when we switch the application the time tracker send your report that you are using internet. So if you cancel, it wastes your 15 min. And the employers are too stupid to understand and actually they won't want to understand because they have to pay for it. So the loss comes to the contractors. So that was the only guaranteed work type on odesk. And on others types they shows you that they cannot give you guarantee. So what should contractors do. And in future there will be free work available on odesk. All contractors work on streets and hats will be in front of them. They will do work because it is their duty and if any kind employer likes to give a penny, he would throw into the hat which will be deducted by 10% later. I am not joking, this time is not far. You are seeing $1 per hour in these days. So how much in future it will be. Any how the question is how to get rid of these cheep employers? I have some suggestions and some requests for odesk to revise their rules. We are paying 10% to odesk not the employers. odesk earns from us not from employers. Client deducts from our services if they say we are paying. They are not paying extra for posting their jobs. odesk should secure us who are earning for them and paying tax on their services. 1)My first suggestion is odesk won't allow any employer to post a job without its payment verification. 2)The new Employers have limited access and forced to pay the odesk fee before post any job. 3)They have restriction to post the job under the limit. (give limit to them that they won't post any job under $100) 4)There are option for contractors to flag any job as inappropriate in terms of rate or too much requirements. If three contractors flag it as inappropriate then that job will be removed and warning message to the employer to correct it or remove it. 5)If any employer won't know the budget. It should be tagged as " Budget not sure" 6)The most important of all. Once job and details have discussed and ready for a fixed price job. There will be a form where all terms would be written and must be fill out, where contractor would agree or not. And the limit of changes also mentioned. If changes would be more than agreed times they must be charged and odesk will ensure its guarantee. Client take interviews on Skype, it is good but after that the job must be started with that form. 7)The common fraud of employers is "on going work or long term work". They decide rates for long term and get relief in rates. So when contractor completes the work. Client goes to hell. So if any Employer shows his interest in long term work they must register their selves as long term employer. If they fail to send another job in the time which odesk decides, they automatically suspend after that time. 8)The budget option will be displayed in form of range and excluded from the odesk fee. odesk make a process to not allow to start the job less than the minimum range. 9)The sleepy clients should be flagged and should be noticed to suspend the registration to avoid waste of contractor's time. 10)The period of review should be not more than one week instead of 14 days. 11)There is another flag option needs to add. Which is for the clients who asks for free tests. Please stop this fraud instantly. 12)Client asks for NDA sometimes. It is good but it should be doubles in rate. So it will be some relief for contractor that the work which is the key for his success, won't be shown in his portfolio forever. I hope it is enough for this time. I have much more in depth but I don't wanna bother you to read out this post. Please read out carefully if you find something wrong please mention it. And if you like it and agree on it then give it good score and good comments for it. Thanks! Munim
Community Leader
Kim R Member Since: Apr 14, 2013
2 of 5
Some types of jobs have a minimum hourly rate of $4/hr You can also filter your job search by min and max budget for point 11). you can flag as inappropriate, pick the 'asking for free work' option Agree more could be done, have a look here also https://www.odesk.com/community/node/34324 You could draw up a contract with a client about extensions to scope etc, not really oDesks concern they are just the facilitator in finding work. But the work here is basically take it or leave it, hard to dictate the terms unless you have very scarce skills.
3 of 5
Yes I know some jobs have ranges. But here we need to fix this option. Means employer must choose in between ranges on fixed and hourly both types. Ranges like $100-$200 or $200-$500 or $500-$1000. It will give contractors a bit more room to apply. On point (11) you are right to flag them. But some times clients have potential and have work to do but they insist to take the test. So I think nobody wants to miss good clients. But it should be paid or at least employers must choose the contractors from all of contributors and the results would be posted to all contributors to monitor their effort and to improve their selves. Also there should be copyrights for this type of work. Client won't allowed to take that work which is not paid. In some cases I have seen are like that, client send a plan to 10 contractors differently and ask for test. They all do and client quietly pick all the 10 designs and use them where they want. And mostly contractors won't even be replied or just tell them that their design wasn't fit with the requirement. But client use all of them without any problem and ristriction. So that's why I am asking for some thing different to fix these kind of problems. Odesk is not only the facilitator. It is not a free website. They charged 10% in every earning you make. If it is just facilitator they should be free or just yearly fee to pay. I hope it will be understandable. Thanks! Munim
Henry O Member Since: Feb 22, 2014
4 of 5
RSS feed can help bring you peace of mind, but currently this "trick" only works with fixed prices (hint hint odesk). Just set your minimum budget, category etc. Then copy the RSS url from the search results to outlook/thunderbird or whatever reader, and voila, you will never see another low budget job again. Soon you will even forget they ever existed, and you can focus on doing what you love. A "problem client", in my opinion, is the BEST indicator that it's time to move forward and raise your price. I would not even worry about them, because you cannot force them to change their mindset anyway. Best, Henry
5 of 5
Thanks Henry for your explanation. I think by using RSS, actually we are limiting ourselves not the cheep employers. It is just like a filter we are using to only see the things in our range. Other thing you told is to ignore cheep clients and move on. It is basically creating the main problem. If some needy contractor do it in low budget, so the overall market will go down. All others would suffer from this act. Everybody in this world likes to earn more including needy people. If we control it by flagging them as inappropriate, it will be good for everyone. 2nd time that employer won't come with that budget. So the overall market rate will be maintained. In result contractors would earn more. If contractors earn more they obviously do better and give better services and most importantly they would trust and rely on odesk more. I hope odesk should think about it. Thanks! Munim
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS