🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to get the first project
Page options
mosari
Community Member

How to get the first project

Hi,
I am new on Upwork since some weeks, I submitted for more than 12 proposals, I didn't get any answer

Just wanted to know how to get the first project ? How will we choose us.

Thank you.
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kinector
Community Member

The implication of what Will just listed above is:

1. For every good job you aim to get here, there are many other applications with more convincing profiles. How do you plan to stand out? What can you claim to offer that is better than what the others offer?
  2. Without analyzing who your competitors are, it is pretty hard to beat them. What are you up against, actually?
  3. Without specifying a certain clientele, the message people can read from your profile is not targeted to them. Do you know whom you're looking for out here?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Moulay Ali S.

Upwork is very competitive - there are far, far more freelancers (millions) registered than there are projects available. (In the July - September 2020 period, less than 59,000 freelancers worked on projects from 38,000 clients worldwide.)

You may not get a good idea whether your proposals (text, work samples and pricing) are attractive to prospective clients untli you have submitted at least 100 proposals, maybe more. (For example, you may need to test different pricing across your 100+ proposals to see if there is a pattern to what range of pricing gets you the most jobs you want to do.)

Good luck!

wlyonsatl
Community Member

As you can see in the attached recent screenshot, Upwork says -

"More than 60k jobs are posted on Upwork every week."

That's 780,000 new jobs posted on Upwork every three months; more than 13 jobs for each of Upwork's active freelancers in the July - September period. 

It is highly unlikely the average active freelancer wins 13 new jobs every three months, so a lot of these jobs are going unfulfilled.

If you can work on jobs in a niche where there are many more jobs than there are active freelancers, which may be true if Upwork recently allowed you to register as a freelancer, you might have some quick success here.

But that may not be the experience of many freelancers... 

kinector
Community Member

The implication of what Will just listed above is:

1. For every good job you aim to get here, there are many other applications with more convincing profiles. How do you plan to stand out? What can you claim to offer that is better than what the others offer?
  2. Without analyzing who your competitors are, it is pretty hard to beat them. What are you up against, actually?
  3. Without specifying a certain clientele, the message people can read from your profile is not targeted to them. Do you know whom you're looking for out here?

how can i get my first project ???

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths