🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to grab the attention of American and Can...
Page options
brunomartino
Community Member

How to grab the attention of American and Canadian employers - suggestions and tips

Dear members of the community,

I am an Italian citizen and I recently landed a job as Virtual Assistant after more than 20 applications. I understood that the most important factor to grab the attention of an employer is a good cover letter. I would like do comprehend if you have some good suggestions to improve my applications in order to increase the number of contacts.

In Europe (especially in Britain), we tend to be very formal in Cover Letters and job applications. I suspect that this strategy doesn't work with American and Canadian citizens. I desire to figure out what are the best openings in order to attract someone.

You can find 4 examples of previous Cover Letters. My intention is to identify my mistakes and my imperfections. Nobody is perfect and I am here, because I want to learn. I accept suggestions, tips and critics in the limits of the common sense. Lastly, I would like to thank you for your patience, kindness and professionalism.

Regards,

Bruno Martino

13 REPLIES 13
jr-translation
Community Member

Bruno M wrote:

I am an Italian citizen and I recently landed a job as Virtual Assistant after more than 20 applications. I understood that the most important factor to grab the attention of an employer is a good cover letter. I would like do comprehend if you have some good suggestions to improve my applications in order to increase the number of contacts.

In Europe (especially in Britain), we tend to be very formal in Cover Letters and job applications. I suspect that this strategy doesn't work with American and Canadian citizens. I desire to figure out what are the best openings in order to attract someone.

You can find 4 examples of previous Cover Letters. My intention is to identify my mistakes and my imperfections. Nobody is perfect and I am here, because I want to learn. I accept suggestions, tips and critics in the limits of the common sense. Lastly, I would like to thank you for your patience, kindness and professionalism.

Regards,

Bruno Martino

As a client I would skip your proposal for the moment (too long) and take a look at your profile. Then I would think, this guy works usually for 1/3 of his hourly rate and is on Facebook and Youtube while logging time. And then I would archive your proposal without reading the proposal.

JoanneP

Hi Bruno,

You might want to check out the following links for more tips on how you can improve your profile:

- How to Make Your Freelancer Profile More Visible & Appealing to Big Clients on Upwork

-Enhance Your Upwork Freelancer Profile for Greater Success

-How to Create a Proposal That Wins Jobs

Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork
browersr
Community Member

These are not employers, they are clients. There is a difference. Longer more detailed cover letters are for employers when you are searching for a full time job with a company. For engaging with clients here, not so much. Having strong command of the language the client speaks and getting to the point of how you can help them with the job they have posted, are the primary keys. General flowery language and other items not directly related to the client's ask should be avoided. Having a strong profile with good client testimonials is how you will grow and be able to charge higher rates. The idea is to get them engaged with you. Once you do that, you have fuller conversations if needed. To start though, get to the point in a professional and direct manner. 

As an aside, don't start off with "Dear," in your profile. It has to be Dear [something] like a person's name. Regardless, remove that line completely as you aren't writing a letter. We also know your name as it's on top of the profile, so no need to introduce yourself again. Once again get to the point of what you can do to help perspective clients. Don't write this as if you were approaching a full-time role with a company. You are not seeking a "position". 

When you do land a job, make sure the computer is recording your work not your free time. As Jennifer has said, that sort of a review will kill any chance you have here. 

petra_r
Community Member

Bruno M wrote:

In Europe (especially in Britain), we tend to be very formal in Cover Letters and job applications. 

We do for job applications.

We do not in freelancing.

The proposals are all as bad as each other. Stiff, overy formal, unpleasanty flattering, too long and they don't address the client's needs.

brunomartino
Community Member

First of all, I genuinely desire to thank you for your interesting and precious comments. I believe that the first 2/3 lines are crucial in order to grab the attention of a Upwork client. You said that I am too formal and I should be more informal.

If I write something like: "Hi Peter, your project genuinely grabbed and catched my attention. Your position concretely excites and amazes me. How are you? I am happy to meet you. I desire to help you to achieve the best results ever"

Do you believe that an informal opening similar to this may sound good or not? Secondly, you said that my Cover Letters are too long. How many paragraphs should I write (2/3)?

I have another curiosity. When I apply for a job, do you reccomend me to attach Reference Letters from previous clients or real employers?

I wouldn't like to appear intrusive, but I am curious to figure out If I can speak with some experienced freelancer or client. My Whatsapp number is **Edited for Community Guidelines** and my Skype ID is **Edited for Community Guidelines**. However, if you aren't comfortable with this idea, you don't need to worry about. Lastly, I hope that you can spend a very nice and entertaining Sunday.

Regards,

Bruno Martino

Bruno M wrote:

First of all, I genuinely desire to thank you for your interesting and precious comments. I believe that the first 2/3 lines are crucial in order to grab the attention of a Upwork client. You said that I am too formal and I should be more informal.

If I write something like: "Hi Peter, your project genuinely grabbed and catched my attention. Your position concretely excites and amazes me. How are you? I am happy to meet you. I desire to help you to achieve the best results ever"

Do you believe that an informal opening similar to this may sound good or not? Secondly, you said that my Cover Letters are too long. How many paragraphs should I write (2/3)?

I have another curiosity. When I apply for a job, do you reccomend me to attach Reference Letters from previous clients or real employers?

I wouldn't like to appear intrusive, but I am curious to figure out If I can speak with some experienced freelancer or client. My Whatsapp number is **Edited for Community Guidelines** and my Skype ID is **Edited for Community Guidelines**. However, if you aren't comfortable with this idea, you don't need to worry about. Lastly, I hope that you can spend a very nice and entertaining Sunday.

Regards,

Bruno Martino

You really really want to tone it down and not appear desperate, overly deferential, overly enthusiastic - a bit more natural would be good.

prachi163
Community Member

Here’s what I think.

1. The cover letters are too long.
  2. Unnecessary adjectives (your amazing job advertisement, my huge interest, etc.)
  3. The letter comes across as too needy (I am sure that I will not disappoint you)

What you need is a cover letter that is short and simple in roughly the below format.  

1. 1-2 lines about your experience. (You can even skip this and jump to point no. 2 if the job description is detailed).
  2. Your specific experience that will help the client for the job (Focus more on the you than the I.
  3. Related samples/portfolio items if applicable.
  4. Answers to any questions that the client has asked.

Try to always customize your cover letter instead of using a template.

brunomartino
Community Member

Dear,

According to your experience, what are the best ways to open a Cover Letter. I watched some videos on Youtube and I discovered that clients can only see the first lines of an application. Moreover, I understood that you don't like the classic openers used in real job applications. Lastly, I prefer to figure out what is the suggested length of the text (2/3 paragraphs? 200/205 words?)

Regards,

Bruno Martino

I have a small question for you. According to the experience of the most succesfull freelancers, do Upwork clients appreciate reference letters from old employers or other clients or prefer examples/screenshots of previous projects? What do you reccomend?

If for example I apply for a position as Virtual Assistant and I attach references to my application, do you suppose that it's a good or a bad idea? If the answer is negative, do you enjoy screenshots of old works?

Regards,

Bruno Martino

I am in a completely different field but I have never provided references to an Upwork client.  I do have examples of relevant work on my profile.

Bruno,

In general, I'd guess that most potential clients consider the feedback I've gotten from previous clients as references, so I only provide potential clients with samples of previous work.

I do 40 - 50 projects per year, so I really would not want to bother former employers or Upwork clients for a constant flow of recommendations.

But if you are being considered for a long-term or semi-permanent specific role that is similar to something you have done before, a reference from that employer might be useful.

I am a freelancer, but I do hire occasionally as well. In my experience with applying for jobs, the most important thing is showing that you have done past work that is similar to the work that the client needs done, and also that you are a real and friendly person. The same goes for jobs that I hire for - those who have a demonstrated history of doing work that is in line with the work that I need done. While references are definitely welcome, applicable examples of previous work is much more valuable in my opinion.

I try to keep upwork clients and my previous employers as far apart as possible, partly because I don't see any advantages in references (though my line of work is portfolio based). The most relevant references are ones from work that you have completed on your own, via your UW profile and if a client needs more than this then I would question their motives for hiring on the platform.

Once, a potential client phoned up my previous employer and asked them about my portfolio without my knowledge. It was for a $300 job. I was mortified. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths