🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to handle client's that completely lie ab...
Page options
ekiertdani74
Community Member

How to handle client's that completely lie about the work they want done

I just withdrew a proposal for a client that I have done work for before and he completely took advantage of me even then. He promised that he would provide a bonus on my next job and I said that I didnt think I would be working with him again. He then somehow talked me into it and I accepted the invite. Today, he sent me the zipped folder with the instructions and in his messages he added instructions and once again  his requests did not align with our initial agreement and/or the messages that we had sent back and forth. I had a really bad feeling this was going to be the exact same type of project and even though he did add a couple hundred dollars more to the project (a 6 page brochure) it just wasn't worth it. So I withdrew the proposal, gave the reason and blocked the client. 

My main concern is what is going to happen now? Does he get to leave a comment? Will he go back to the last project and revise his rating and his comment? I am pretty sure it has been less then 14 days so he could still do that. I am a very hard worker and I always go above and beyond for my clients but I swear I keep getting client's that use and abuse me. I am learning how to better vet, how to be clear in my proposals and communication but these are hard lessons and I am not happy that my JSS reflects this and I don't have a say to the Upwork Community so that they can review the messages etc. That is what I think would resolve any issue that I have come across, is if the Upwork police (lack of a better term) reviewed the messages so that they can see the entire picture before they lower a hard working freelancer's JSS.

Rant over. Any advice?

Danielle

4 REPLIES 4
petra_r
Community Member

@Danielle K wrote:
How to handle client's that completely lie about the work they want done

I never work with them again.

The client can not change his feedback for the last job and withdrawing a proposal has no effect on anything so you need not worry.

Unless you accepted a contract it is meaningless.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

The JSS will always be a black box algorithm. No other approach justifies the cost for Upwork

Your improving ability to clarify the parameters of each project and your increasing spidey sense for clients who will be a problem are some of your best friends in improving your JSS. 

browersr
Community Member

From a JSS perspective others have answered as no there is no comment at the proposal state and no they cannot update a review they have already left, without you expressly allowing them to do so within the 14-days. However, some words stick out.

"He then somehow talked me into it"

"but I swear I keep getting client's that use and abuse me."

I greatly appreciate seeing you write this: " I am learning how to better vet, how to be clear in my proposals and communication but these are hard lessons "

Yes, they are hard lessons but it is entirely on you. If someone "somehow" talked you into it, you better figure out what that "somehow" was (you likely already know) and put an end to it. Clients using and abusing you is for you to take control of. Have respect for yourself and your work. Bad people sniff out those who they think lack self-respect and will then take advantage. Don't give off that vibe. I would be far more concerned with the two sentences above then I would be about JSS. JSS is a number, but the other things are quality of life. Once you own that, JSS will be just fine. 

Yes, you couldn't be more correct. And exactly why this instance was a bigger life lesson than an Upwork project. I'm certainly better than I was last year. I'm either a victim or a volunteer and because this client did not hold a gun to my head to accept a new proposal nor forced me to do anything I didnt want to, I am a volunteer (and manufacturer of my own misery.) I will continue to grow as a person and a designer. Thank you for your kind words. 👍😉
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths