cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to handle this situation - client has gone quiet

owen_forsyth
Owen F Member Since: Jul 6, 2017
1 of 14

Hi all, I am just looking for advise on how to handle a situation where the client has gone quiet.

I got into a contract for a certain amount, a fixed price - I know 50% has been funded and to be released on the first milestone, I last spoke to them Tuesday when I said I would be submitting the first draft for review and to be paid. 

The first draft was to be a functional website, with the adaptions to their industry, I have done that, although I would never submit an entire website as a first draft, so what I have submitted is a working website with half of the pages and information complete.

Anyway ever since I submitted the draft copy, there has been silence and now I am wondering what should I do next as I am not doing anymore work on the website until this has been sorted.

I want to give the benefit of the doubt to the client as I also submitted requests for more information, photos etc so I am going to have to assume they are in the process of getting me this information. 

but it is now Friday and the last I heard was Tuesday

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 14

re: "How to handle this situation - client has gone quiet"

This is always good news, isn't it?

Or are you doing fixed-price contracts differently than the way I do them?

I never agree to a fixed-price contract until I have the input files and instructions needed to finish the work.

Then I do the work. Then I submit it.

If the client has "gone quiet," it means I get paid automatically, without having to do any additional work.

The noisy clients are the ones who require more of my time.

owen_forsyth
3 of 14

Hmm I dont quite follow, so when I send the first milestone and press submit I get paid? And the client doesnt have to approve it?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
4 of 14

re: "Hmm I dont quite follow, so when I send the first milestone and press submit I get paid? And the client doesnt have to approve it?"

If you did the work required for the first milestone, then send that work immediately using the big green button attached to the contract. The button says "Submit Work / Request Payment."

You don't even need to contact the client. This button notifies him automatically.

Then one of the following will happen:

- The client does NOTHING. You get paid AUTOMATICALLY in 14 days.

- The client approves the request and releases the funded milestone payment. That's GOOD too.

- The client asks for changes. That's not what I like to see happen, but it happens.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
5 of 14

re: "And the client doesnt have to approve it?"

When you use the official green button to submit your milestone work, clients are provided an ample OPPORTUNITY to review and approve your work.

IF the client does NOTHING... for whatever reason... then the full amount of money funded in escrow is released to you automatically and permanently.

owen_forsyth
6 of 14

I see, I just assumed the client had to approve. better get back to work and stop worrying so.

Thanks for that

konservasi
Ace Contributor
Handy R Member Since: Jul 14, 2017
7 of 14

Great suggestion Preston,I'd love that

prestonhunter
Community Guru
8 of 14

The majority of clients do look at submitted work quickly and either approve it quickly or ask for some changes.

That's usually what happens for me.

But some don't. I actually have a client who has hired me for 8 different contracts now. And EVERY TIME he gives me the assignment and I do it and submit it and I don't hear from him at all. I get paid automatically. And then I still don't hear from him. And then months later he gives me another assignment, with another contract.

He's a surgeon, so I cut him some slack and assume his schedule is busy with things other than logging into Upwork.

The good part? He doesn't ask for changes, and I always get paid.

juvy_ann-palma
Community Guru
Juvy Ann P Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
9 of 14

There's a new feature that I have encountered just recently.  It looks like if a client has gone AWOL and funds get to be released automatically, then the amount stated as a placeholder (just in case it was really meant to be exhausted) may be consumed by proposing a contract to the client.  Say for instance, the entire project is for $2000.00 and the paid milestones cost $300.00 then the freelancer may choose to propose a contract to the client and this contract may have $1700.00 as the projected cost.  It looks viable.  However, I have yet to try this out.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 14

@Juvy Ann P wrote:

There's a new feature that I have encountered just recently.  It looks like if a client has gone AWOL and funds get to be released automatically, then the amount stated as a placeholder (just in case it was really meant to be exhausted) may be consumed by proposing a contract to the client. 

Nonsense.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS