cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to hide earn from my current clients?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Imran K Member Since: Nov 21, 2017
1 of 12

Hi Team,

Hope all doing well. I am writing because I am interested to know, how I can hide my earning history from my running contact client also!!!! Because very strangely some clients ask about very weird questions like you are earning a good amount, you are taking $$ this so, please lower your hourly rate now(even after 2-3 month work later) etc.

If there is any way to hide my earning from current clients also please let me know. Because hide earning from the public(freelancer or client search) it's really normal, but I sure hide earning from current very important. It's like my clients are always checking my earning even more than myself Smiley Sad

Thanks

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 12

@Imran K wrote:

Hope all doing well. I am writing because I am interested to know, how I can hide my earning history from my running contact client also!

You can't.

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
3 of 12

Your clients agreed to your price as part of their acceptance of your proposal.

Do you know why they now think you should agree to a lower price?

Ace Contributor
4 of 12

Actually, I am with them for around 7 months.  Now they want me to take full time. But I don't like to lower my work rate. Because I charge for quality work, and always maintain my work standard. Even though they are not forcing me. But I am not ready to hear this type of offer.  Because they could offer me, but the problem is they checked my previous job rate.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 12

@Imran K wrote:

Actually, I am with them for around 7 months.  Now they want me to take full time. But I don't like to lower my work rate. Because I charge for quality work, and always maintain my work standard. Even though they are not forcing me. But I am not ready to hear this type of offer.  Because they could offer me, but the problem is they checked my previous job rate.

As a self-employed business owner, you are allowed to run your business as you see fit, including upping  your rates. This is not the client's business  -  if you feel the need to explain, tell them it's your "cost of living" increase.

I love Tonya's solution:

"Then, invite them to let you know if you would like your assistance in transitioning your project to a new freelancer".

ETA: Re this: "but the problem is they checked my previous job rate"

No one stays at the same low rate when they started out, neither here and now as a freelancer, nor out there in the "real world". Just because I worked for minimum wage years ago doesn't mean I should (or can) still be working for minimum wage now. I'd be living under a bridge if that were the case.

Tell your clients "my way or the highway".

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
6 of 12

Tell the client that your fees reflect your market value and that you are unwilling to lower them. Working for less than your current fee for them would prevent you from taking more lucrative assignments and wouldn't make good business sense. Then, invite them to let you know if you would like your assistance in transitioning your project to a new freelancer. 

Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
7 of 12

Don't tell them you'll help them transition until they've rejected your explanation for not lowering your rate.

Mentioning a transition prematurely might make them think you don't want to work for them or prompt them to find another freelancer rather than continue to work with you out of spite or another emotion.

They have asked. You have said no. With any luck, they'll accept that and things can continue as they have been. If they've been happy with your work for many months, they might not want to lose you.

Ace Contributor
8 of 12

You are right Will. Thanks all.

Community Leader
Joëlle O Member Since: Jan 25, 2013
9 of 12

hmmm... I thought you could hide your earnings if you pay something to Upwork? Dont take my word for it but I'm sure I saw some profiles where people's earnings is set as private.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 12

@Joëlle O wrote:

hmmm... I thought you could hide your earnings if you pay something to Upwork? Dont take my word for it but I'm sure I saw some profiles where people's earnings is set as private.

Yes, if you take out Plus membership you can hide them from the general public, but clients you apply to or work with can still see it.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS