cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to hire individual freelancer when he is agency owner?

Highlighted
Andrei R Member Since: Sep 30, 2019
1 of 13

Hello! 

I am owner of the agency (specified as Non-exclisive Freelancer of the agency), but asked my client to send me a new contract as to individual contractor. But when he clicks 'Hire Now' button on my profile page the offer goes to the agency. How to make it to be accounted on the individual freelancer account not agency?

Please help.

Highlighted
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
BEST ANSWER
2 of 13

Hi Andrei,

As a non-exclusive member of an Agency, you're able to Change Default Team. After changing it, the offers will not be accepted under the Agency by default.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you

~ Bojan
Untitled

View solution in original post

Highlighted
3 of 13

Bojan, thanks! - you absolutely right. After I removed the Default Team all contracts are automatically accepted by me as individual freelancer. From one side it solved my problem, but from another I still do not see possiblity on how to manage whether execute the project as individial freelancer or as agency... It looks like the only way - change Default Team setting before asking the client to send me a contract?? - Upwork UI and logic looks strange here...

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
4 of 13

Hi Andrei,

When you`re applying on jobs you will see a pop asking you if you would like to apply as an independent freelancer or under the agency. If your client sends a contract it will be formed on your profile or the agency (depends on the option you`ve chosen when you have submitted your proposal).

Also when clients are inviting you to a job, if they would like to invite the agency they can open the agency profile and click on the green button "Invite to Job".
To learn more about agency proposals and offers, check out this Help Article. If you`re still confused about something, let me know. Thank you.

Untitled
Highlighted
5 of 13

thanks Goran for the clarification! - yes, it's clear in case if contract sent in reply to the proposal (yes, I could choose to send proposal from agency or from individual freelancer).

My question was related to another use case: when customer already knows me (for example, we had previously accomplished projects) and want to send a new contract directly to me without issuing a proposal. In this case customer goes to my profile and clicks Hire button. But in this scenario there is no choice for customer to assign a new contract to agency or to individual freelancer. Also it's not possible to manage on my side as well - contract seems to be automatically assigned just based on the Default Team setting without possibility to change this...

Highlighted
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
6 of 13

Hi Andrei,

Clients can invite the agency to apply on their job posting directly from the agency profile. Also, they can send a contract to the team member they would like. When a client hires an agency member, the agency will be notified of each action taken. Thank you.

Untitled
Highlighted
7 of 13

yes, but direct hiring without job posting via Hire button on freelancer profile does not provide possibility to choose between individual freelancer and agency at any stage - and I think that this is a problem

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
8 of 13

Hi Andrei,

Thanks for clarifying, I sent you a private message and would like to ask you to follow up on it so I could take a closer look into the process you reported. Thanks!

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
9 of 13

Hi Andrei,

I'd like to confirm that if an offer is sent without a proposal being submitted first, the freelancer won't have an option to accept it either under their Agency or Freelancer profile by design. If a freelancer is set as an exclusive agency member or are non-exclusive and have their default team set to the agency, the offer will go to their Agency profile. 

In your case, since this is a client you have been working with for what sounds like a longer period of time, you can communicate with them and make sure to update the default team setting before receiving a new offer, to ensure that you can accept it and create a contract under the profile you prefer.

We have shared your experience with our Product team for further consideration, thanks for sharing your feedback in the Community.

Highlighted
10 of 13

Thank you Vladimir. The situation is completely clear for me now.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS