cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to identify the fake job posters (Scammers)!!

steer360
M D Member Since: Sep 8, 2017
1 of 8

Hi Community,

Today i got a request for interview for a job i submitted proposal. Then the guy asked me to invite him in the google hangout. After i connected him in my google hangouts he took my interview by sending 15 questions and asking me to answer in 15 minutes. I kinda had a suspicion and so was careful not to give out any personal info. So i answered those questions and the guy said - "Hang on 5 to 10 minutes so that I can forward your answers for my direct hiring manager for evaluation". I kept on and after around 7 . minutes he said - "I am back, you did very well and you can start working for us, you are hired , congratulations!. Hope you can show your leadership with the kind of experience you have. How do you like to be paid weekly, direct deposit or biweekly, wire transfer ? " I said weekly, direct deposit.

(He gave me the company name as **edited for Community Guidelines**, He also collected the company's website, profile and things like what they do, how many employees they have etc etc, and messaged me already. )

Then he asked me my details like Full Name , address, email, phone.  

At this time i was 100% sure that this is a scam.

So I started searching in google about **edited for Community Guidelines**, in fact it is there. And it has the profile, website exactly he messaged me. I searched the person's name **edited for Community Guidelines** in linked in, google. No info.!

So I asked him two questions and he hung up and blocked me after that.

My two questions were these:

1) "How do i prove that you are the employee of **edited for Community Guidelines**"

2) "Can I call **edited for Community Guidelines** and ask them about you. I have their numbers. 

How much UpWork is authenticating the job posters? Avoid going out of Upwork for proposal and interview etc, is the way to protect ourselves, but can the job posters be authenticated in the first place?

I posted this incident here to help the freelancers to identify such communications and help protecting themselves and others.

Thanks

Das

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
2 of 8

@M D wrote:
<snip>

I posted this incident here to help the freelancers to identify such communications and help protecting themselves and others.

Thanks

Das

It was very nice of you to outline your entire personal experience, but this EXACT scam has been discussed in literally DOZENS of easy to find threads.

You (OP, aka the Original Poster), should read this one: https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Tips-to-Avoid-Questionable-Jobs/td-p/240833

Edit: cleaned this up some.

jcullinan
Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
3 of 8

What Pandora said, and also to reiterate:

@M D wrote:

"How do you like to be paid weekly, direct deposit or biweekly, wire transfer ? " I said weekly, direct deposit.

This right here is 1000% against Upwork Terms of Service. You're paid hourly or fixed price, through Upwork only. Accepting payment terms outside of the platform will get you banned from the site.

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
4 of 8

@M D wrote:

Hi Community,

Today i got a request for interview for a job i submitted proposal. Then the guy asked me to invite him in the google hangout. After i connected him in my google hangouts he took my interview by sending 15 questions and asking me to answer in 15 minutes. I kinda had a suspicion and so was careful not to give out any personal info. So i answered those questions and the guy said - "Hang on 5 to 10 minutes so that I can forward your answers for my direct hiring manager for evaluation". I kept on and after around 7 . minutes he said - "I am back, you did very well and you can start working for us, you are hired , congratulations!. Hope you can show your leadership with the kind of experience you have. How do you like to be paid weekly, direct deposit or biweekly, wire transfer ? " I said weekly, direct deposit.

So, did you read information about how to use this site, the procedures, and the do's and don'ts? And if you didn't I would really like you to tell me why not? Why would you just register and jump right in without knowing anything. (instructions are read before assembling anything, studying is done before you take a test etc.) Accepting payment offsite, can get your account suspended. ALL payment MUST go through Upwork. The client must verify their billing method AND fully fund escrow. And, Google Hangout, is where ALL the scammers are.

(He gave me the company name as **edited for Community Guidelines**, He also collected the company's website, profile and things like what they do, how many employees they have etc etc, and messaged me already. )

Then he asked me my details like Full Name , address, email, phone.  

At this time i was 100% sure that this is a scam.

So I started searching in google about **edited for Community Guidelines**, in fact it is there. And it has the profile, website exactly he messaged me. I searched the person's name **edited for Community Guidelines** in linked in, google. No info.!

NEVER google or contact the company that a clients give you. That company DOES exist. The employee's name may also exist. But think about it, How easy is it to google a company and say you work there. It's just as easy to give information about the company by the client because they probably read the mission statement or the home page. Scammers try and gain your trust that way. (oh look, this client works for a large company, they must be legitimate.

So I asked him two questions and he hung up and blocked me after that.

My two questions were these:

1) "How do i prove that you are the employee of **edited for Community Guidelines**"

2) "Can I call **edited for Community Guidelines** and ask them about you. I have their numbers. 

How much UpWork is authenticating the job posters? Avoid going out of Upwork for proposal and interview etc, is the way to protect ourselves, but can the job posters be authenticated in the first place?

Upwork does have an algorythm that picks out scam jobs. There's also a link that freelancers can use to report jobs that are scam jobs or jobs that violate Upwork's TOS. BUT - This communication that you had is off site. How can Upwork know that this is a scam job if communication is offsite?

If you go back and read just a weeks worth of posts here, you would see DAILY, messages about scam jobs. The EXACT same scam that you encountered. Unfortunately, posting what happened to you, won't help the majority of freelancer, All those other scam messages posted here, didn't help you to know what to look out for. It's only "after the fact" After freelancers have been scamed do they come on here, like you and try to warn other.

I may sound harsh, But what I say is fact.

Thanks

Das

steer360
5 of 8

My suggestion is your system can do a verification of the member (job poster) with some kind of id ( for example a copy of drivers license or company employment letter or whatever applies as an id,) keep that in your file, database or cloud whatever. While no one can guarantee 100%, but this process will make the fake job posters rethink twice.
Then when someone reports the scam go behind.
The first message came from the user via upwork so I was under impression that all was well. (I can provide you the scammers upwork message.)

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
6 of 8

Hi M, 

As the community members pointed out, asking to be paid off the platform is a violation of the Upwork ToS and our team will follow up with you regarding this. In the meantime, please read up on this help article that enumerates what actions may result to an account hold or suspension. 

~ Avery
Upwork
steer360
7 of 8

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
8 of 8

Some people just beg for it...........

I wonder if videos about all these topics would make a difference, because for sure, telling someone to read doesn't always cut it.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS