🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to improve the number of times my profile...
Page options
normigonzalez
Community Member

How to improve the number of times my profile is viewed

Hi! As you can see in the image, I have a very high interview and hiring ratio, but my profile is rarely seen.

I have spent a lot of time maintaining a complete and attractive profile, using keywords from my industry, and reverse engineering the profiles of my main competitors. My JSS is 100%, so my question is, what else can I do to make my profile more frequently viewed?

I hope that there is something within my reach, since having a report of an impossible metric to improve does not seem to make much sense.

upwork.png

On the other hand, if other users want to share this metric, it would be very useful as well.

13 REPLIES 13
ijlalzaidi786
Community Member

Hi Norma,

You can share your work experience on LinkedIn to get more views.

Regards,

Ijlal

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Norma, 

I took a look at your profile, and for someone who just recently started on Upwork and you've had great success on Upwork. I've read stories of some independent talent that it took them more than six months to get a job as a freelancer. I'm very impressed with your Work History!

As for your profile, I would recommend that you beef up your portfolio by adding more project items in this section of your profile. This is your opportunity to impress potential clients with real-life examples of your skills and expertise so don't hesitate to add new items in this section of your profile especially when you have just recently finished a project.

You may also want to update your overview and talk more about how you can help your client solve their problem instead of just itemizing your skills. When a client search for freelancers, they only see the first two sentences of a freelancer's overview in their search results. Make sure that you're able to capture your potential client's attention by working on the first few lines of your overview. 

Check out these resources I have hand-picked here, but you may also check the guides the team has curated to help you become more successful on Upwork. 

I hope this helps! Good luck!

~ Avery
Upwork

Thank you very much for your kind compliments.
I will expand the portfolio section and improve the description.
Still, I doubt the algorithm will show me more often for changing that, my profile is very keyword-rich.

I have read in other posts that, to avoid elitism in the first search positions, the algorithm is rotary. I admit that that makes sense, but I also think that successful profiles should be shown at least a little more frequently as I think mine is, albeit in part.

Anyway, I still don't know how to make people find my profile more times, and I suspect it's impossible.

If I understand it correctly, the viewed metric refers only to views originating from a search initiated by the client. 

This will always be somewhat random because different profiles are surfaced on a random basis. 

I suspect that you are more likely to be surfaced if you are actively searching and have prior gigs that are a close match for what the searcher enters as their terms. 

I know that Upwork search is nothing like a typical search engine inquiry. So keyword richness may not deliver the same benefits as it would in other settings. Upwork makes specific assumptions about searcher intent that a typical search engine would not. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

I can only speak for myself, not for the other more experienced freelancers, but I will do it anyway: experienced freelancers never look at these statistics. They are pretty meaningless and if you are trying to improve them, you are wasting your time. One that you could be watching is the "clients that would recommend you" number, that is the aggregated private feedback. It tells you how happy clients really are with your work, and it's the most important factor in JSS calculation. BUT: never ask clients what they rated you, or try to find out who rated you what. That would be unprofessional. 

One tipp, though: never end a contract yourself if you can avoid it. It's always better to ask the client to do it. 

I ignore it.

I'm glad for you 🙂

One tipp, though: never end a contract yourself if you can avoid it. It's always better to ask the client to do it. 

If you feel that client may be not 100% satisfied with your work and there is a risk for non perfect feedback, it is better to end the contract yourself, as there is a chance that client will not leave any feedback.

On the contrary, if you ask client to end the contract he will be forced to leave a feedback, which will possibly be non-perfect, so the this practice will eventually be against you in the long term 

Ioannis T wrote:

If you feel that client may be not 100% satisfied with your work and there is a risk for non perfect feedback, it is better to end the contract yourself, as there is a chance that client will not leave any feedback.

On the contrary, if you ask client to end the contract he will be forced to leave a feedback, which will possibly be non-perfect, so the this practice will eventually be against you in the long term 

No, it will not, since you always should deliver 100%. In the rare case that a contract went south, you are right. But that should be the rare exception. 

Martina P wrote:

Ioannis T wrote:

No, it will not, since you always should deliver 100%. In the rare case that a contract went south, you are right. But that should be the rare exception. 

In a perfect world, yes. But there are cases where you have a mean and nasty client who's likely to give bad feedback no matter how well you do the job. Best thing to do in these cases is say nothing and close the contract yourself.

Without a doubt, the clients who would recommend me is the metric that I take care of the most (100% in my case). Even so, I don't understand why I shouldn't care how many times my profile is discovered, which in the end translates into more clients.

I don't think the clients who view you really translates into that many more clients.  How many jobs do you get from the invitations to interview you receive?  That's the only thing this number is reflecting.

In my experience, the majority of invitations to interview do not lead to jobs.  I have only had one job result from an invitation to interview since I've been on Upwork, the rest of the invitations were either not suited to my skills, not jobs I wanted, or scams.

The majority of my jobs come from repeat clients, from looking at your profile, I'm thinking that's soon going to be the way for as well.  Your best bet is sending proposals to jobs that fit your skills perfectly until you have so many jobs from repeat clients that you don't have time to worry about how many times your profile is viewed.

Best of luck!

In my case it is different. The chances of getting a job are much higher when I am invited than when I submit the proposal.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths