Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to improve the platform

Highlighted
Cat N Member Since: Jan 4, 2016
1 of 21

Howdy,

I'm a member of many forums and mostly a lurker, as in my skepticism (if not downright cynicism) I don't think I can make a difference, but from time to time I get out of my shell and speak out.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the first or the last to mention the problems I'm about to describe, but maybe, just maybe, my voice will stack on top of the others and will amount to something.

So, here I am giving some feedback/criticism to the Upwork masters, along with some proposed solutions.

Facts:

#1 - most professional freelancers hate the canned questions Upwork provide to clients when posting a new job;

#2 - most serious clients (as in clients with a good track-record and big sums spent on here) will not resort to said questions;

#3 - the canned questions will therefore be ignored by both the freelancer as well as the client, a professional member of this platform.

All these are probably a symptom of the Upwork's desire to attract new clients by facilitating an easy way to post a job. But, a client simply posting a job is not equivalent to revenue, as that depends on whether the job will attract quality freelancers.

Proposed solution:

- get rid of the canned questions and add a feature like the milestone one, where you add a question by  writing it and add more by clicking on a plus sign. It will force the clients to think more about what they want and it will improve the overall business relationship between parties.

There are probably a lot of first time clients (payment not verified) that will go looking somewhere else because their crappy posting didn't attract a lot of quality proposals. Think about that, from a business PoV, if nothing else convinces you, Upwork.
Thanks.
-
Cat

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
2 of 21

Yes to all of this. Have a kudo. I understand that clients may need help knowing what to ask and how to word their bid, but the canned questions are counter-productive.

Highlighted
3 of 21

Hi Christine,

Thanks for the up-vote, but I think that the assumption that the clients need help (from Upwork) for knowing what to ask or how to word their needs is the core issue that led to this.

If they need help with finding what they want and they come here before finding that out, they'll mostly be ignored on most jobs, as most of us here are wanting to provide solutions to their problems/needs. If they don't know what those are, there's proabably a service they can purchase here too, but in most cases, people like me (coders, 3d artists, etc), are not into providing that. So maybe that's a feature Upwork needs to think about - clients that don't know what they want. Get them to know that and then redirect them to the problem solvers (after having a "chat" with problem identifiers).

edit: I'm aware that most problem indentifiers are those that are actually able to solve the problem - so then maybe, allow new clients that don't know exactly what they want to check a box and get bids/questions from people willing to provide them a clue, without having to pay (connects) in the form of clarifying questions,

Highlighted
4 of 21

Oh, forgot to mention - this is not a connects issue - I understand that business has costs, but I for one, can't be bothered to engage with a client that doesn't have a clue about what the job at hand involves, connects or no connects. Connects cost makes that much unlikely that I'll spend my time asking what they're actually after. That's where I'm coming from.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
5 of 21

Cat - I usually pass the jobs by that have a list of questions to be answered except on rare occasions when a job does look really good. Those stupid questions are really a pain.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
6 of 21

Cat N wrote:

Howdy,

I'm a member of many forums and mostly a lurker, as in my skepticism (if not downright cynicism) I don't think I can make a difference, but from time to time I get out of my shell and speak out.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the first or the last to mention the problems I'm about to describe, but maybe, just maybe, my voice will stack on top of the others and will amount to something.

So, here I am giving some feedback/criticism to the Upwork masters, along with some proposed solutions.

Facts:

#1 - most professional freelancers hate the canned questions Upwork provide to clients when posting a new job;

#2 - most serious clients (as in clients with a good track-record and big sums spent on here) will not resort to said questions;

#3 - the canned questions will therefore be ignored by both the freelancer as well as the client, a professional member of this platform.

All these are probably a symptom of the Upwork's desire to attract new clients by facilitating an easy way to post a job. But, a client simply posting a job is not equivalent to revenue, as that depends on whether the job will attract quality freelancers.

Proposed solution:

- get rid of the canned questions and add a feature like the milestone one, where you add a question by  writing it and add more by clicking on a plus sign. It will force the clients to think more about what they want and it will improve the overall business relationship between parties.

There are probably a lot of first time clients (payment not verified) that will go looking somewhere else because their crappy posting didn't attract a lot of quality proposals. Think about that, from a business PoV, if nothing else convinces you, Upwork.
Thanks.
-
Cat

Agree. Get rid of those canned questions. 

Highlighted
Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
7 of 21

Thanks for your feedback, Cat. I'll be sure to share this with our team for consideration. 

-Joanne
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
8 of 21

Those canned questions will often put me off applying. I am firmly in the get rid camp although this has been bought up numerous times already. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
9 of 21

The canned questions are a put-off for many experienced people, especially when they are not relevant to the posting at all. It's been discussed in lengths here, but Upwork knows better that us what we need and they have decided not to remove these stupid questions. As a consequence, many posts will continue to be ignored by freelancers, rightfully so.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
10 of 21

COMPLETELY agree. The canned questions put me off applying. They harm clients and their chances of hiring the best freelancers because so many people just say "If you can't be bothered to write a proper question, I can't be bothered to write a proper answer!"

I also have a set of really snarky, sarcastic canned answers and don't want to be tempted to use them Smiley Wink

Most of us ***DETEST*** those canned questions. They are most completely dumb in the context because they can't normally even be answered in a meaningful way because the job post doesn't give enough context anyway.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS