cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to improve your Job success

suznee
Community Guru

Not sure what happened here. Tried to delete.

79 REPLIES 79

Hola!

After reading a lot of posts I think I finally understand how Job Success works.
I am also concerned because despite all the jobs completed successfully, my 4.92 stars and my 100% clients recommendation my JS is only 80%.

JS has nothing to do with the quality of work, it only measures the efficiency in terms of turnover and speed: You get a job, you do it and meet the deadline, the customer pays and closes the contract. That's a 100% JS.
It has no importance that your work is of poor quality, it is irrelevant whether you get 5 or 1 star.

And about Top Rated freelancers, oDesk says nothing about stars and good feedback, and that confirms my theory:
https://odesk.zendesk.com/entries/61866640

Only then I can understand some of the profiles I've seen around here.

I can understand that there are customers who want a quick and cheap job where quality is not an imperative.
But if a customer is looking for quality, would have to search the best contractors in the auto hidden applications. If I were a customer I would be pretty upset with odesk.

Maybe odesk just needs to explain to customers and freelancers what this Job Success is measuring. I am pretty sure clients have not a clue that has nothing to do with quality.
But the client should be the one to decide what kind of profile prefers, instead of odesk deciding for him.

I do not see how all this will improve the quality of the platform. It seems that it is doing exactly the opposite.

@Julia D wrote:

Hola!

After reading a lot of posts I think I finally understand how Job Success works.
I am also concerned because despite all the jobs completed successfully, my 4.92 stars and my 100% clients recommendation my JS is only 80%.

JS has nothing to do with the quality of work, it only measures the efficiency in terms of turnover and speed: You get a job, you do it and meet the deadline, the customer pays and closes the contract. That's a 100% JS.
It has no importance that your work is of poor quality, it is irrelevant whether you get 5 or 1 star.

And about Top Rated freelancers, oDesk says nothing about stars and good feedback, and that confirms my theory:

I can understand that there are customers who want a quick and cheap job where quality is not an imperative.
But if a customer is looking for quality, would have to search the best contractors in the auto hidden applications. If I were a customer I would be pretty upset with odesk.

Maybe odesk just needs to explain to customers and freelancers what this Job Success is measuring. I am pretty sure clients have not a clue that has nothing to do with quality.
But the client should be the one to decide what kind of profile prefers, instead of odesk deciding for him.

I do not see how all this will improve the quality of the platform. It seems that it is doing exactly the opposite.

I already mentioned I understand it has nothing to do with stars, but it does have to do with feedback and some of what I have seen they have no feedback

public and private feedback

My example above she had a couple remarks about not completing work and a bunch with absolutely no feedback or stars.

successful completion of work
client complaints
responsiveness levels
missed deadlines
disputes
long term client relationships

and she had no long term clients or repeat clients

... and more

This is the part that is what everyone wants to know.

Hi Suzanne,

I think what is clear is that the impact of feedback on the percentage should be minimal, if you can have a 100% JS with these profiles.

And as for the Top Rated Badge oDesk mentions:

Job Success A score of at Least 90%
12-month earnings of at Least $ 1,000
An account in good standing with no recent account holds
A 100% complete profile with photo
Up to date availability (if unavailable now, Set a date estimate)
At Least 30 days of work history on oDesk

Not a word of feedback or stars!

But I agree with you that "... and more" is what we all want to know.

Julia,

You can speculate all you like but it has been stated in other threads that feedback did matter and if someone had complaints blah blah blah. 

I want a moderator to answer the questions without cutting and pasting the ridiculous answers that have been posted.

What good is having a a JS score or a Top Rated Badge if any freelancer with crappy feedback or none at all can have it. It doesn't matter what the run down of how to get it is.

I want to know what the "And More... " is as it evidently gives anyone who takes on 7 jobs all at once and has 1 5 star rating and no other feedback into account giving her a 98% and a Top Rated Freelancer.

This is not going to help Clients find the best freelancer for the job.

@Julia D wrote:

Thanks a lot!

rabia7
Ace Contributor

Thanks Julia D..

That pretty much sums it up!

rabia7
Ace Contributor

Juila D,

I just came across this

How is your Job Success Score calculated?

We look at many performance indicators, both positive and negative, including:

• public and private feedback
  • successful completion of work
  • client complaints
  • responsiveness levels
  • missed deadlines
  • disputes
  • long term client relationships

You can't assume that job score doesn't involve the feedback left by the clients or the qaulity of work delivered. The job success rate does take into account the feedback, client complaints, your responsiveness etc. so that determines the qaulity of work.

To me, job success rate is a better indicator of the qaulity of work than the overall feedback star system. Previously, only one bad feedback could affect your overall score, but now there are other factors that define or determine your job success rate.  It makes sense to me now!

surenderkhokhar

well, Last week my Job Success was 80% (i am taking screenshots weekly) and today it is 78%, in the mean time, i have neither started any contract nor ended a contract. I dont know whats going on with this Job Success feature. I am not having any activity on my profile and it got 2% Down. oDesk must have Standard Level of program to calculate this %.

May be the robot thinks that you are doing nothing.You can dig this forum and sure you will find the answer.

(I think)  the score works on a rolling year. So a change in one day can occur because of what happened exactly a year ago rather than what happened today.

Stephen

There are hundreds of complaints about JS decreases is the robot is too cruel to the freelancers why he dont think that a year before this freelancer did a great job so it increases the JS not always decrease and make the freelancers disapointed.

Hey, don't shot the messenger Smiley Frustrated  Smiley Wink

Anyone who knows me on this forum knows that I am no friend of the robots. I don't think they're cruel - just badly programmed. It's like bad dogs and heir owners. A bad dog is just being a dog - the owner is at fault. Same with a mad robot.

ksubhani
Ace Contributor

I have to agree with Julia that Job success score (JS )seems to put too much weightage on speed and response rate.

When this metric was implemented I had a score of 99% for unknow reason it dropped to 89% and yet again it went up for unknow reasons to 90%

No new contracts started nor did I end any contracts and my JS score jumped from 89% to 90%. The only thing that I did differently during this was not bothering to login to Odesk and actively bid for projects for the last 2 weeks, just declined most job invites that I received via email straight away from mobile.

@Julia D wrote:

Hola!

suznee
Community Guru

Job Success is actually weighed on a 24 month period. It includes job not completed, refunds, incomplete work, private and public feedback. So a lot of the changing could have to do with something that happened 24 months ago. 

How is your Job Success Score calculated?

We look at many performance indicators, both positive and negative, including:

• public and private feedback
  • successful completion of work
  • client complaints
  • responsiveness levels
  • missed deadlines
  • disputes
  • long term client relationships

To calculate your Job Success Score, we subtract instances of poor performance from good performance, leaving your net overall performance. And to ensure we properly reflect your overall track record of performance, we look at how this calculation changes over time. Your Job Success Score is updated every two weeks, and it’s important to note any movement in this score (either up or down) reflects both recent activity and activity over a longer period of time. We look at trends over a 24-month period, meaning you won’t see work from years past surface in your Job Success.

Additionally, we consider all your oDesk jobs, whether or not work was performed. Jobs ending without receiving payment or with a full refund may be excluded from your profile history, but are still an important factor in calculating your Job Success Score. The goal is to capture a breadth of information not already reflected in your star-rating or profile.

https://support.odesk.com/entries/23103173

I wonder if it's OK to make a pitch on each proposal to point out that the Job Success rate is not a realistic assestment of the freelancer skills or job quality and that the JC is no more effective to reflect work competecy of a freelancer than an actual work portafolio or client feedback.

I had the luck to find great clients even do my JC is pretty low, but still I can't shake out of my head  the sense that I could be missing out more opportunities.

The obvious problem here is that the JC is an insentive to undercharge clients ( so you lose the bidding war by default ) and to over expend on the plataform, for example I'm currently paying for a subcription plus an additional $70-80 dolars montly just to make ends meet.

So there is no way upwork is going to fix the JC problem any time soom, it's way to lucrative (for them) to keep things as they are now. Also we all have to realize that upwork is not a place where anyone can make a living. I would say that it is good learning sandbox to prepare you to go solo, but I don't think that anyone with a JC under 99% can make a decent living salary from upwork. ( unless you're single and still live with your mother ).

akydur_abir

Hello,

I am a social media marketing expert.Currently my job success is 66% only.
I do not have any running job now.
My Feedback score is 4.72.
To improve my job success what should I do now?

Looking forward for any suggestion.

Thanks,
Akydur.

Social media "experts" do more than just throw up Pinterest images. Nowhere in your profile does it suggest that you know how to drive traffic through social media. Clients who want real social media marketing need someone who A) knows the target market and B) knows how to engage with users.

I audited the supposed SEO of this one SEO (people would be so surprised that their SEO is clueless and has to ask someone like me for help). His outsourced supposed "experts" were just posting lame links to Twitter and Facebook with 0 engagement with users. He wanted to know why his clients were not ranking or doing well at all. Well I mean DUH.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS