🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to incorporate added scope in the current...
Page options
kc_subodh
Community Member

How to incorporate added scope in the current project?

Hello 

I was working on a website project and after development, they want to add some other scope of work.  
I communicated with them and they agreed that added scope of work will be needed to be compensated. 

My question, how do I update the milestone or how do I send the new offer? 
Please guide. 

Thanks
Subodh.kingcaliber.com

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

If you are working with a fixed-price contract:

And the client wants to add something or change something about a task:

Then as a freelancer, I suggest that you tell them that they have these 4 options:

a) Release all current escrow funds. Close the current contract. Create a new, flexible hourly contract.

b) Release all current escrow funds. Close the current contract. Create a new fixed-price contract to handle the new work.

c) Release all current escrow funds. Add a new, escrow-funded milestone to the current fixed-price contract.

d) Use the "pay bonus" tool to send payment for the additional work; after that, you will do the additional out-of-scope work

The existing contract is not over yet to be closed.there were three milestones, one completed two are remaining. ( the remaining work in the milestone are not the added scope)

Is there no way I can send a new proposal or new offer to the client? 
alternatively, I don't mind getting paid via bonus but again there is no protection on that , is there?

re: "alternatively, I don't mind getting paid via bonus but again there is no protection on that, is there?"

I pointed out that one way a client can pay you is through a bonus.

You are right: There is "no protection" associated with a bonus payment.

Which is why I said you can offer the client to pay you a bonus payment up front. This means: You require the client to pay you the money BEFORE you do the extra work.

After you get the money, then you don't need "protection." You already have the money.

re: "Is there no way I can send a new proposal or new offer to the client?"

There are LOTS of things you can do.

I did not tell you all the options. I told you what I would tell a client who wants to change the scope of any task while I am still in the middle of working on a milestone.

In my mind, a client should not be doing that. But if a client WANTS to have me do something different, then okay, I will allow that. But first they need to close out the current milestone so that we can set up a proper contract for the new work.

Is the added work something that will be part of the current milestone (or one of the others), or is it something that could be broken into its own milestone?

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members