🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » How to keep motivated with so "unresponsive" ...
Page options
fakharimamjutt
Community Member

How to keep motivated with so "unresponsive" clients?

This is very demotivating and discouraging, for the past 6 months I have been in discussion with over 20 clients via messages and zoom session, they like my work, etc but only 2 jobs I was able to do...

Most of them are unresponsive which is really demotivating? I know we have to keep our heads up but applying to that kind of job we lose a lot of our connects, time, and effort for a quiet and irresponsible client.

I am not complaining and I have been trying hard to get more work because I know I provide quality, but Upwork must take action on this as well - of course, our clients are always first but we providers also have some reputation to maintain.

Let me know your thoughts guys and I apologize in advance if someone is offended, cheer!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Fakhar I wrote:

I bought a lot connects and Plus Membership plans to stay in lane, I am not using my connects for irrelevant jobs, I am only applying for relevant jobs which has a 90% interview invitations rate, but for the sake of a good and healthy discussion I want to learn more about from the community on this. 🙂

Frankly, Fakhar, you have a tendency to respond to every suggestion with, in effect, I don't need to do that or I already do that. Those kinds of responses do not have the tone of "a good and healthy discussion" or of "want[ing] to learn...from the community."

You asked. We answered. You can listen, or you can argue. The more you listen, the likelier you are to continue to receive good advice. The more you try to justify what you're already doing, the less likely anyone will care to respond.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
a_lipsey
Community Member

Fakhar I wrote:

This is very demotivating and discouraging, for the past 6 months I have been in discussion with over 20 clients via messages and zoom session, they like my work, etc but only 2 jobs I was able to do...

Most of them are unresponsive which is really demotivating? I know we have to keep our heads up but applying to that kind of job we lose a lot of our connects, time, and effort for a quiet and irresponsible client.

I am not complaining and I have been trying hard to get more work because I know I provide quality, but Upwork must take action on this as well - of course, our clients are always first but we providers also have some reputation to maintain.

Let me know your thoughts guys and I apologize in advance if someone is offended, cheer!

What action do you expect Upwork to take on this to help you with your motivation problem?

Clients are not obliged to hire you. There is no action to be taken. 

I really appreciate your reply but I provide high-end eLearning solutions which derive results, I am always concerned about my clients and provide the best customer services i.e. replying to invites, proposing the best solutions to their problem, in short, I am following best practices.

Now, a client is telling me they really like my work or sample that I have demonstrated to them, they are obliged but after that, they go unresponsive or after meetings with the same remarks they are saying we have awarded the job to someone else, etc.

Like we have to maintain our profile and reviews, don't they have to as well... in my opinion

I am fully motivated and patient about my guidelines but as per learning, I want to ask professionals so that I can learn more.

researchediting
Community Member

I take it you were not responding to invitations, but applying through the marketplace. You might consider these kinds of proposals to be somewhere on the continuum from cold calling to warm calling. In that framework a near 10% return on your efforts is quite respectable.

If you feel you are spending too much time applying, relative to the jobs you actually get, You might consider spending some of that time becoming more selective about the proposals you make. Many people here recommend only applying for jobs for which we know we would be a perfect fit, or the best fit. Applying to fewer jobs may at least increase the relative return on your efforts, and has the potential, through your better focus, to increase the absolute return.

Also, make sure that you’re not underselling yourself. Make sure that you’re bidding in that segment of the market that is commensurate with your skills, and know what kind of rates people who win contracts in that segment are commanding.

Good luck!
jr-translation
Community Member

Fakhar I wrote:

You got more than 200 connects just for reaching the interview state. How many did you use in dring the same period?

I bought a lot connects and Plus Membership plans to stay in lane, I am not using my connects for irrelevant jobs, I am only applying for relevant jobs which has a 90% interview invitations rate, but for the sake of a good and healthy discussion I want to learn more about from the community on this. 🙂

You will continue to be unhappy unless you change your perspective. Some clients come here to get a problem solved. Once they have found someone to solve their problem, they leave. They don't update everyone whom they didn't hire or follow-up. That's just the way it is.

You aren't going to get clients to behave the way you would prefer or expect. Upwork isn't going to get clients to behave in the way you would prefer or expect. So, you either continue to be disappointed by unmet expectations, or you change. 

In your situation, I might question whether in your efforts to be customer-focused, you are giving away too much information without charge. If a client is still in the "thinking about this" phase, they may interview just to get their questions answered. Then, they can hire someone cheaper, or look on other platforms to hire using the knowledge they have gained from you. 

In each client interaction, you should ask yourself, "Do I want to work with this person and do I believe this person's budget and business plan is realistic." Of course, also be on the lookout for signs that a client is trying to trick you into doing free work or participating in some other sort of scam. 

An open marketplace attracts many types of people. Not all have the best of intentions. 

oh definitely, you have raised a great point and this has been happening lately. They interview me, I show them my work sample, they ask me some here and their questions and I tell them everything without any charges and now I understand this is the main issue that I need to work on it.

Tonya P wrote:

In your situation, I might question whether in your efforts to be customer-focused, you are giving away too much information without charge. If a client is still in the "thinking about this" phase, they may interview just to get their questions answered. Then, they can hire someone cheaper, or look on other platforms to hire using the knowledge they have gained from you. 

Fakhar I wrote:

Frankly, Fakhar, you have a tendency to respond to every suggestion with, in effect, I don't need to do that or I already do that. Those kinds of responses do not have the tone of "a good and healthy discussion" or of "want[ing] to learn...from the community."

You asked. We answered. You can listen, or you can argue. The more you listen, the likelier you are to continue to receive good advice. The more you try to justify what you're already doing, the less likely anyone will care to respond.

Oh, I am sorry, I didn't want to deliver this message that I am not listening or learning... But, thank you so much sir for pointing this out, I really appreciate your kind response.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members