cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to know if a client has read your proposal or not?

Highlighted
Sandra M Member Since: Aug 7, 2018
1 of 12

Is there a way, through the interface, to tell if a client has read your proposal or not?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Sergio S Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
BEST ANSWER
2 of 12

It's impossible to know. Actually, it would be really helpful if Upwork do something about that, it would help freelancers to know if our efforts at applying are worthwhile or just disregarded, hence we would improve.

For your own peace of mind I recommend to apply and then move on, forget about the proposal sent.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Sandra M Member Since: Aug 7, 2018
3 of 12

Thanks for your reply. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
4 of 12

@Sergio S wrote:

It's impossible to know. Actually, it would be really helpful if Upwork do something about that, it would help freelancers to know if our efforts at applying are worthwhile or just disregarded, hence we would improve.

For your own peace of mind I recommend to apply and then move on, forget about the proposal sent.

Thing is, even if that functionality exists, it would really not give you very much usable information. The client has opened a proposal, yes, and has either decided to hire that freelancer, or move on. The reasoning behind that would still be obscure to you. 

Assuming that you put forward the best possible proposal you can anyway, it really does not make much of a difference. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
5 of 12

Martina P wrote:

@Sergio S wrote:

Thing is, even if that functionality exists, it would really not give you very much usable information. The client has opened a proposal, yes, and has either decided to hire that freelancer, or move on. The reasoning behind that would still be obscure to you. 

Assuming that you put forward the best possible proposal you can anyway, it really does not make much of a difference. 

This is one of those things that sound like it would be helpful but I believe would actually not.  It would be made even worse if the client is allowed to provide feedback.  People think they want to know exactly why they were not chosen but I, personally, would prefer a client that doesn't want to hire me keep their opinions to themselves.

My ego is massive but my self-esteem is low, I would rather not contend with someone I randomly proposed to on the Internet telling me exactly why I can go suck it.

Highlighted
Apsara A Member Since: Nov 20, 2018
6 of 12

ATTENTION for UPWORK team: How about this feature add to upwork. when our proposal open or read we can notice it's read or something like that. I think it's very helpful for candidates. Please consider this.

Thank you.

Highlighted
David K Member Since: Oct 17, 2019
7 of 12

I highly agree that just knowing if they read the proposal would be great.  Also, any constructive feedback would be very helpful.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 12

re: "Is there a way, through the interface, to tell if a client has read your proposal or not?"

No, no such functionality exists.

Note that it would be impossible to create such a function, unless Upwork had some sort of advanced, not-yet-invented neural interface that directly connected to a client's brain. The most you could possibly do with current technology would be to add functionality that let you know if a client had clicked a button or link that caused your proposal to be displayed on screen.

But that wouldn't actually tell you whether or not the client read the proposal. It would only tell you whether or not a client had an opportunity to read it.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
9 of 12

Why do you care?

If they have read and are interested they will get in touch.

Highlighted
Tara G Member Since: Feb 9, 2019
10 of 12

It helps freelancers get a sense of the clients timeline/sense of urgency (or lack thereof). 

It also helps freelancers see if there are any patterns to the proposals they submit that tend to be viewed.  That data could help freelancers fine tune their proposals. 

I would argue for even more data such as- were any of the proposals submitted viewed.  This can help freelancers weed out less serious clients. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS